News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

IMG_3061.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3061.jpeg
    IMG_3061.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 27
Did someone say “glacial”? Because what the f*ck is the hold up?! Jesus.

What does my job have anything to do with it? The city has built full overpasses and interchanges in less time and I am not exaggerating. This will be the third summer that has impacted Eau Clare. If they go ahead and tear down the mall next year, Eau Clare will have been in some state of demolition and construction for four years. If the Green Line goes ahead then add on a couple more years of disruption. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect one of our premier public spaces to actually be open. Better planning and timing should have be done to as many things at the same time as possible.

In all honesty I would expect this to hopefully open around August based on what is done and still needs to be done.

Better planning and timing should have be done to as many things at the same time as possible.
It is easy to say, just like when a road ends up with two patches on it after two repairs seemingly carried out in adjacent periods of time.

Anyways, it comes down to whether the city prioritized cost certainty or schedule. I can tell you more negative public pressure comes from being over budget than being late.

So yeah. Another look in the mirror moment. Why do public projects drag on? It’s all of us.

I was at Prince's Island this week and I'm actually surprised that I'm liking what I see so far with the Eau Claire plaza redesign.

The stairs down to the promenade look really good and I can envision the integration with the plaza to be a huge improvement because it already has a grander feel now that the space is much more open and better connected.

I thought that the loss of the trees would be largely missed, but I really enjoy the openness.

It is easy to say, just like when a road ends up with two patches on it after two repairs seemingly carried out in adjacent periods of time.

Anyways, it comes down to whether the city prioritized cost certainty or schedule. I can tell you more negative public pressure comes from being over budget than being late.

So yeah. Another look in the mirror moment. Why do public projects drag on? It’s all of us.
Generally, schedule correlates with budget certainty: projects that are late are usually over budget due to poor combinations of scoping and project management. The problem isn't "all of us", it is incompetence. Good people rarely pursue public sector employment. The rare few that do, rarely survive the soul destroying bureaucracy, complacency, seniority rules etc.

Generally, schedule correlates with budget certainty: projects that are late are usually over budget due to poor combinations of scoping and project management. The problem isn't "all of us", it is incompetence. Good people rarely pursue public sector employment. The rare few that do, rarely survive the soul destroying bureaucracy, complacency, seniority rules etc.
Projects involving any change are delivered 100% by the private sector. Even regular maintenance sometimes (see street lights).

I was at Prince's Island this week and I'm actually surprised that I'm liking what I see so far with the Eau Claire plaza redesign.

The stairs down to the promenade look really good and I can envision the integration with the plaza to be a huge improvement because it already has a grander feel now that the space is much more open and better connected.

I thought that the loss of the trees would be largely missed, but I really enjoy the openness.
The area is shaping up nicely - one thing I don't like though is that the asphalt pathway separation does not continue around the conflict points west of Centre Street Bridge in Sien Lok Park. For most of the upgrade, the same design motive continues as in the existing pathway sections - pavers for walking areas, asphalt pathway for cycling - however in this area the pathway reverts to the pavers and merges in with the overall pedestrian space kind of randomly.

This is not ideal. It will inevitably create major congestion and risks collisions, as is the situation currently with the non-separated pathway section here. I would have hoped this upgrade improved the capacity of the pathway system as it's a ton of work and the area is far too busy and will increase in traffic in the coming decades. Full separation of cycling is required.

Delays and overruns happen in both the public and private sector. Is the private sector generally more efficient? As a general rule yes, but public sector projects are always managed or partly managed by private sector companies, and are usually constructed by private companies. Private projects are 100% managed and constructed by private companies, yet overruns and delays are common for just about every project. Sometimes it's incompetence, sometimes it's unrealistic goals to start with and often it comes down to the old expression 'shit happens'.

As far as good people rarely going to the public sector, that's not necessarily true. It varies across the public sector depending on different factors. The public sector area I work at has been successful in getting good people from private companies, even when they were earning a higher wage .
Observations in my career arc are: young people with talent will often go to the private sector where there is potential to make more money and move up easier if they work hard, but as time goes on people's priorities change. Where I work, we've pulled good people from the private sector because the private sector companies they came from don't offer a comparable with the work/life balance. When it comes down to it many of those private sector companies don't offer any advantage except higher wages, and often times not even higher wages.

Last edited:

Back