News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

I hope the city extends the cycle track on 5th. As it stands right now, it’s a safety hazard. I don’t ride there as a cyclist, but I do drive up and down that road often and I’ve seen cars almost knock cyclists over due to the lack of space. It’s an accident waiting to happen.

I hope the city extends the cycle track on 5th. As it stands right now, it’s a safety hazard. I don’t ride there as a cyclist, but I do drive up and down that road often and I’ve seen cars almost knock cyclists over due to the lack of space. It’s an accident waiting to happen.
It's happened to me a couple of times, one of the times the car's mirror actually touched my bike handlebar. Luckily I stayed on the bike, but that was the last time I rode down that stretch of 5th.

I'm surprised that hasn't been a a higher number of serious injuries.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this properly, but it appears the city wants to take away the already built cycle tracks on 8th ave and replace them with a plan to share the road with vehicles. The extra furniture and landscaping would be nice, but I'm not a fan of removing the cycle lanes and sharing the road with cars. The plan is to reduce the speed to 30km/h, but cars aren't going to stick to that.
The one and only good thing is you'll be in the same lane as cars and they won't be able to cut you off when they're making right hand turns.

1675704584715.png

There was a recent discussion about this on Twitter. This was the reply from someone who works for the City of Calgary.

Here's the link to engage. https://engage.calgary.ca/stephenavenue

What I'm curious about is if they'll test these two options against one another... Personally I like Option 1, but maybe there's somewhere along 'the Avenue' that Option 2 could work (somewhere where there are entrances close together).

Option 1

1675713310087.png

1675713287579.png

Option 2

1675713225931.png

1675713252876.png

Alternate Option 2

1675713201213.png

Last edited:
I'm curious how many injuries there are, does the city track and post them anywhere? I haven't had any incedents personally, but have a close call every couple weeks. I fully expect cars to turn right in front of me at every light, so I'm always on the lookout.
Does this twitter account also post when cyclists get hit?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this properly, but it appears the city wants to take away the already built cycle tracks on 8th ave and replace them with a plan to share the road with vehicles. The extra furniture and landscaping would be nice, but I'm not a fan of removing the cycle lanes and sharing the road with cars. The plan is to reduce the speed to 30km/h, but cars aren't going to stick to that.
The one and only good thing is you'll be in the same lane as cars and they won't be able to cut you off when they're making right hand turns.

View attachment 454447
Does the western section of 8th really need to be 2-way for cars? Why not just 1 WB lane and keep the protected bike lanes?

I don't think having bikes on 8th really makes sense. There's too much pedestrian traffic and it makes thing worse for both peds and bikers.
I used to use the western ones all the time--west from 5th street to either 7th or 11th. I'm fine with removing them if a traffic lane is removed on 6th or 5th to maintain the connection.

This is a strange one. I like the bike lanes west of Stephen Ave, but hate trying to ride on Stephen Ave (would rather deal with traffic on 9th than people on Stephen Ave). So should they just move this to a different street? I prefer bike lanes on 2 way streets as drivers tend to only look in the direction cars come from on 1 way streets (going west on 12th I see this every evening). Maybe taking a lane from 9th or 6th is a better option and 8th can be left to everyone else.

This is a strange one. I like the bike lanes west of Stephen Ave, but hate trying to ride on Stephen Ave (would rather deal with traffic on 9th than people on Stephen Ave). So should they just move this to a different street? I prefer bike lanes on 2 way streets as drivers tend to only look in the direction cars come from on 1 way streets (going west on 12th I see this every evening). Maybe taking a lane from 9th or 6th is a better option and 8th can be left to everyone else.
The conflict between fast cycling and pedestrians on Stephen is artificial and triggered by the prioritizing vehicle capacity on the major one-way avenues back in the original cycle-track debate. At the time, every alternative avenue was deemed to have too large of impact to vehicles so Stephen was the only place left. So sharing the only pedestrian street (with cars too let's not forget) was the compromise.

Not to say bicycles and pedestrians can't interact or that bicycles weren't always present on Stephen Ave - they can share space infinitely better than either bikes or people can with cars. While Stephen sees some time of day conflicts between cyclists and with pedestrians, especially in peak summer lunch crowd, it's hardly a dangerous environment. I will always take Stephen regardless of the crowds as no other route is anywhere close as safe or direct in the core to go east-west. Most cyclists won't bother trying to reach the river or Beltline until 5th Street because it's super dangerous to do so - again, the car-sewer east-west avenues are the problem here. If they weren't so unsafe, it would be easier to get off Stephen sooner to cross them.

No need to ban bicycles or police it aggressively (this is both pointless and ineffective), just give cycling a legitimate East-West alternative that doesn't feel / isn't suicidal. Put a safe, direct and efficient two-way cycletrack on both 9th Avenue and 6th Avenue (with a few N-S connections at MacLeod, 2nd etc.) and the lots of the fast cycling traffic will magically evaporate to the other areas. Meanwhile the slower, local cycling to destinations on Stephen can still participate in the street.

12 Avenue SW is the case study for exactly this - it has it's design issues but is super popular because it's reasonably safe and direct compared to all alternatives, despite it being a one-way car sewer for parts.

Indirectly, the 12 Avenue SW cycle track helped change the feel of the street for the better due to more separation for pedestrians from the higher-speed cars and cars generally go slower. That's all with just trashy flexi-posts and limited/no cycling priority - give 9th Avenue the full concrete curb treatment and wide cycling lanes with decent priority and Stephen won't have any issues of fast cycling, real or perceived.

Back