News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

^ This is a really cool project. UIQ and University District (along with McMahon) will over a long time pressure main campus to be more urban, and become a very different place.

Here is some initial thoughts from a few years ago which I believe are informing work:
1662742785891.png

And a newer map which shows the relation to other areas:

1662742036388.png

Here's the Agenda for the Infrastructure and Planning Committee which includes the amendments to parking minimums. They voted on it yesterday.

Is there anyway to find out what got passed and what didn't without waiting for the livestream and Minutes to be uploaded?
Passed at committee. New middle density district, plus changes to R-CG, etc. Parking is at .375 spots per unit/suite.

This week on Down to Business, Steven Paynter, a principal in Toronto at Gensler, the largest architectural and interior design firm in the world, spoke about the future of the office building.

During the pandemic, the city of Calgary hired Gensler to study whether it would be practical to convert many of its empty office buildings into residential units, and Gensler explained what he found.

https://financialpost.com/news/economy/work-from-home-office-pandemic

I haven't listened to the interview, but I am curious if he said we need MORE office space, since Gensler is part of the design team behind Stephen Avenue Quarter....
It's mentioned that class A offices are doing just fine, it's less desirable office space which is mostly unoccupied. According to Gensler of course.

I haven't listened to the interview, but I am curious if he said we need MORE office space, since Gensler is part of the design team behind Stephen Avenue Quarter....
Developers know the market better than do politicians and planners. The City initiative to subsidize office to residential conversion has many unintended consequences, including incenting new office construction and competing with (and likely discouraging) non-subsidized residential construction in the same general area.

Developers know the market better than do politicians and planners. The City initiative to subsidize office to residential conversion has many unintended consequences, including incenting new office construction and competing with (and likely discouraging) non-subsidized residential construction in the same general area.

Developers know the market for new better, but do know they know the market well for older property?

Back