News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Wonder if Anthem will move ahead with Crosstown anytime soon? That parcel has been more or less vacant for 30 years.

Has it broke ground yet on 1724 Westmount?

I just had a great dinner at Mercado's new sister restaurant Sorella on Centre St. I can't remember if this project was highlighted in this thread 1010 Centre St NW but the project has turned out so well. What was there previously was a brick bunker with a chiropractic office and zero street presence. Now there are a couple of great restaurants (Deepak and Sorella). Centre street has a ton of potential and I hope we see more of this.

Last edited:
Looking around at the downtown and inner city from the Calgary is a pretty impressive view until you come to this part 😟
Those empty lots beside the tracks, the huge parking lot next to them and the bus barns combine for one big wasteland.

I overheard some tourists pointing out the empty lots asking why they were empty and one of the people with them said they were bulldozed because “they’re planning to build condos there”
If only that was the case.

View attachment 401734
That the only thing to actually get accomplished out of the collapsed CSEC deal was another publicly-funded surface parking lot built in Victoria Park has got to be the least surprising thing that has happened in this city in the last 10 years.

The next Burj Khalifa.
Jk

Looks like Cidex owns it. Possible 2-3 tower site.
And Twisted stays put, thats good news!

Also, hate it or love it, Cidex is completely changing the northwest Beltline in areas that remained largely untouched. I don't love a lot of there architecture, but they are making a big impact in terms of the amount of people that live in the west beltline.

Last edited:
And Twisted stays put, thats good news!

Also, hate it or love it, Cidex is completely changing the northwest Beltline in areas that remained largely untouched. I don't love a lot of there architecture, but they are making a big impact in terms of the amount of people that live in the west beltline.
I'd be okay with three towers covered in spandrel at that location. The extra density would be enough critical mass to create another Beltline hotspot.

I'd be okay with three towers covered in spandrel at that location. The extra density would be enough critical mass to create another Beltline hotspot.
I agree. I wish Cidex would just copy and paste there Hat @ Old Strathcona and use brick for the podium material like they will on that project.

Pic for Reference:
1653506131689.png

I am very curious (read: skeptical) if this works, I would be very surprised if it does. You need a window per bedroom to make these projects work which is exactly why you almost never see 3 bed apartments and they are provided in townhomes for anyone that can afford them in North America. This is something that would be very challenging to finance. You’re spreading the financial risk of 18 units across 11 floors in a concrete building. If they can make this work financially for sale or for rent, they are miracle workers.

Back