News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Ouch. Another absolutely painful one. Don't be fooled by the polish, it's a 2020s strip mall.
  • Less than a block from an LRT
  • Drive-through
  • Not only a drive-through, but a drive-through lane in parallel to the existing laneway.
  • Accommodates ~13 parking stops, about the same amount if street parking was allowed on 17th Avenue and the side street
This is another textbook example - if there are any rules that are preventing pedestrian-focused retail designs a block from an LRT station they should be thrown away. Further, new rules that restrict auto-oriented uses a block from the LRT should be added until the interaction between the application of policy + applicant intent literally can't produce something like this even under any circumstance.
To be fair to the developer, the City would not allow parking on 17th Avenue given its current arterial classification. The update to the Calgary Transportation Plan in 2020 still maintained this classification for 17th, all the way from the West Ring Road to 37th Street SW. Perhaps this will be reviewed as part of the Westbrook Communities ARP, but given the timeline for that, and the City's desire to keep maximum traffic flow near LRT stations, I am not holding my breath.

For the drive through lane, the City would not have allowed the drivethrough to utilize the existing laneway to the south, creating the unfortuante parallel road layout we see. One of the main issues is the existing houses to the south are serviced via that lane, including their own vehicle access and waste and recycling pick-up. What would happen if the proposed Starbucks was very popular (as it is right off a main arterial commuter roadway into downtown) that generates a long line-up at its drivethrough every morning, trapping the residents in their own garages due the vehicle queue? Or, if a garbage truck gets delayed due to the long line-ups? Probably extreme examples, but that is likely the rationale.

The fact that a drive-through starbucks is included is perhaps disappointing, but I recall the developer saying without this use anchoring the development, the project would be unviable. If it were removed, a better design could be achieved, but a project may not be built for finance reasons. Is this better? Not sure, depends on your time horizon. Probably in 20-30 years, the market for multi-family in this area (and hopefully planning policy/street classification) will have changed to allow a better project, but that is 20-30 years of the existing homes further declining. At least there is no major underground parkade/infrastructure involved with this project, meaning future redevelopment will not be a major obsticle.

To be fair to the developer, the City would not allow parking on 17th Avenue given its current arterial classification. The update to the Calgary Transportation Plan in 2020 still maintained this classification for 17th, all the way from the West Ring Road to 37th Street SW. Perhaps this will be reviewed as part of the Westbrook Communities ARP, but given the timeline for that, and the City's desire to keep maximum traffic flow near LRT stations, I am not holding my breath.

For the drive through lane, the City would not have allowed the drivethrough to utilize the existing laneway to the south, creating the unfortuante parallel road layout we see. One of the main issues is the existing houses to the south are serviced via that lane, including their own vehicle access and waste and recycling pick-up. What would happen if the proposed Starbucks was very popular (as it is right off a main arterial commuter roadway into downtown) that generates a long line-up at its drivethrough every morning, trapping the residents in their own garages due the vehicle queue? Or, if a garbage truck gets delayed due to the long line-ups? Probably extreme examples, but that is likely the rationale.

The fact that a drive-through starbucks is included is perhaps disappointing, but I recall the developer saying without this use anchoring the development, the project would be unviable. If it were removed, a better design could be achieved, but a project may not be built for finance reasons. Is this better? Not sure, depends on your time horizon. Probably in 20-30 years, the market for multi-family in this area (and hopefully planning policy/street classification) will have changed to allow a better project, but that is 20-30 years of the existing homes further declining. At least there is no major underground parkade/infrastructure involved with this project, meaning future redevelopment will not be a major obsticle.
That road classification is part of the crux of this problem. It prevents good development in itself, all the more unfortunate because of the LRT station is right there. This development is another example of trying and failing to have it both ways - either we leverage the LRT investment and prioritize transit-oriented development or we maintain the unnecessarily high level of service for car throughput adjacent to the station. We chose the latter, which will lock in car-orientation near the LRT station to an even greater degree than it currently is for another generation.

The second part of the problem is the drive-through itself. They shouldn't be allowed in urban contexts in general, but across from the LRT its all the worse. More pedestrian realm impacts for vehicle access, more idling cars adjacent to a community for the life of the development. Perhaps drive-throughs are appropriate in some pure auto-oriented areas (highway rest stops/offramps?) but a block from an LRT station? This is where the planning authority should have a backbone, not at preserving a counter-productive arterial road classification!

Market viability is always the challenge and I am sympathetic to the tension between what we armchair urban enthusiasts wish would happen in development v. what actually can happen in a development; the private sector builds the city, the planners just regulate it etc. Not everything will be ultra high-density, not everything needs to be. There's only so much development the market supports etc.. I get all that - but it's hardly like we aren't tipping the scales already. We are already interfering with market viability of different products by requiring off-street parking, requiring additional vehicle access and not granting street parking access here for arbitrary "planning" reasons.

Beyond just the regulatory role, the city is also an investor here due to the LRT station. Approving a drive-through across from a LRT station means it's failed at both roles - approving this would work to under-mining the public's own transit investment by failing to encourage transit-orientation and developments that utilize that infrastructure investment. Simultaneously as regulator they are asked to approve adding a nuisance into a neighbourhood that undermines the public realm for at least another generation. Sure, it will be polished looking for a while - but that McDonalds drive-throughs just down 17th Avenue probably looking shiny and new 30 years ago too. Being a better drive-through is not good enough of a reason in itself.

When it comes to transit-oriented cities, you can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
(idk if this is the right forum to post this in)

But I just got a fun little question. When do you guys think that we will be getting a new tallest building? (Or atleast a new building taller then 200 meters)

I personally believe we will be getting a new tallest within 2026-2032
I’ll go with the year 2030 for completion of the new tallest.

When the city removes the stupid height restrictions. The fishies will be OK I'm sure.
DT Calgary has many sites unemcumbered by height restrictions. Lease rates aren't high enough to justify the extra structural engineering and reduced spatial efficiency of going past about 50-60 floors. An office tower, for example, typically requires a set of elevator banks for each about 12-15 floors. Each bank eats into leasable space, so pushing beyond 50 something floors eats into economics, unless the building implements something exotic like sky lobbies so elevator banks can share the same shaft.

With the vacancy rate so high, I can't see the economics making sense for a very long time, if ever.

Downton office vacancy rates hit +30% in 1982 and towers well under construction were halted. I remember being depressed reading that another tower would not be built for 30 years. Then we got Canterra & Bankers Hall East completed in ‘88 & ‘89 respectively and a fairly regular stream of towers after the 1990s.
You’re right about Suncor being the tallest for a long time though (28 years I think). Then we had a glorious burst with The Bow, EAP, Brookfield & Telus Sky.
I don’t think the next tallest will be an office tower although there may be an office component. If it’s another 28 years your prediction of 2050 will be pretty close 😄
I’m really hopeful it’s much sooner than that though.

Last edited:
I came across this article when I was looking for vacancy rate info. It’s a different “glass half full” way of looking at the current situation.

Last edited:
Rundown of the current multi-family (25 units or more) u/c in non-greenfield areas. I've copied this to the front page of the thread so we can keep track and make future comparisons. Anything missing, let me know.
Feb 4, 2022

Core development
U/C Units in Beltline/DT/EV

Oliver - 866
Sunalta Towers - 333
The Hat 14th - 239
1334 10th - 80
Arris Tower west - 310
Park Central II - 460
Sierra Place - 80
West Village Towers - 554
The Fifth - 34
Nude - 177
Curtis Block - 628
11th and 11th - 369
Total Units: 4,130

U/C in Near Inner City (Bridgeland, Kensington, Mission, Inglewood, Bankview)

Theodore - 114
Archer - 40
Riverwalk - 141
Block on 4th - 39
Elva - 61
Dominion - 300
The Bridge - 285
Brio Bridgeland - 25
Era - 178
Nimmons Court - 84
Bankview 19+14 -78
Lynbrook Manor - 48