News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

For sure! One of the biggest shocks of moving to Calgary visually was the lack of high rises in the suburbs. I wonder if people in Calgary realize that suburbs in Ontario look like: North York, Scarborough, Mississauga, Waterloo, Ottawa, London.
A lot of that style in Vancouver and Montreal as well, but you certainly see it a lot in the Ontario cities, and outside of some American cities, the rest of the planet for that matter. It's funny how people here squirm at the idea of high rise apartment buildings in places outside of the core.

A lot of that style in Vancouver and Montreal as well, but you certainly see it a lot in the Ontario cities, and outside of some American cities, the rest of the planet for that matter. It's funny how people here squirm at the idea of high rise apartment buildings in places outside of the core.

I think Ontario went all-in on the "towers in the park" style development of its suburbs - more so than other jurisdictions in North America. As you mention, though, this is very common outside North America.

Even Ontario's smaller cities like Waterloo and London have similar levels of mid/high-rise apartment units to larger non-Ontario cities like Vancouver and Montreal (10-30% of total HHs). But no city comes close to Toronto, which has 44% of its total HH units in mid/high-rise apartments. 44%!! I would guess the vast majority of those apartment units are scattered across the post-war suburbs as opposed to the downtown core. I used to hate these "commie blocks", but what can I say: there's a reason Toronto has been able to absorb so many international and domestic migrants.

By point of comparison, only 7% of Calgary's HH units are in mid/high-rise buildings!!

It should be noted though: Ontario's suburban high-rises are a textbook example of why height =/= urbanity.

I dug into this a little; a good Friday afternoon data dive. Calgary has the highest home ownership in the country, and Canada has the highest home ownership in the developed world, so at some level we're a pretty extreme outlier.

A challenge in analysis is that rental is linked to demographics (smaller households are more likely to rent; more than half of singles vs. about 20% of 4+ person households in major cities in Canada). And it's linked to income (this one is well known; lower income HH rent more). But income is also linked to demographics (the easiest way to double your household income as a single is to move in with someone in the same income range). So to tease things out a little, I pulled out the 2 person households, which means that the demographic dimension is at least a little bit fixed. (Not perfectly; there are still age differences -- and older people are more likely to own their home.)

Here's the ownership rates for major CMAs:
1635554700352.png

Calgary is quite a bit lower than many of them overall, but looking at the individual values, not so different than say Toronto. Here's a comparison against two sets of counterparts - the other 5 large metros (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa) and the western metros (Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton, Vancouver, Victoria):

1635554983030.png

It's interesting -- we're 9% lower in rentals overall than our large peers, but we're within 5% in all but 3 of the 12 categories. So why is our ownership so high? Look at the share of households by income; we have 17% of our households in the lowest 4 income groups, the other 5 large CMAs have 29%; we have 44% of our households in the four highest income categories, where the large CMAs have 28%.

It's actually Calgary's affluence that's the main cause of our high home ownership rate, at least looking at 2 person households. About 70% of the difference when comparing to the larger CMAs and 85% when comparing to the western CMAs is due to our different income distribution. We also have the lowest share of singles of any large metro in the country, going beyond the two-person groups.

If / when Calgary's incomes drop towards national averages, that would tend to reduce our home ownership rate. Although at least some of that home ownership is probably 'baked in' at this point; the households that have paid their mortgages or that had substantial capital appreciation are unlikely to drop out of ownership entirely if their incomes drop. Of course, these two groups are mostly people who've been here for 15+ years, which is only around 2/3 of Calgarians.

Interesting discussion. In comparing highrise construction projects in Calgary to other cities, I'm happy to see that we are at least catching up as far as residential high rises go. I've left Vancouver and Toronto off the list, being they are in a different galaxy, but here's the top 10 for the rest of Canada.

Ottawa 33 (33 are residential)
Calgary 33 (32 are residential)
Montreal 29 (25 are residential)
Halifax 19 (18 are residential)
Kitchener 17 (17 are residential)
Hamilton 8 (8 are residential)
Edmonton 7 (7 are residential)
London 7 (7 are residential)
Waterloo 5 (5 are residential)
Victoria 5 (5 are residential)

*about half of Montreal's projects are mixed use, with hotel and office mixed in. Ottawa has a few mixed use ones as well.
*2 of Calgary's projects are conversions to residential (Sierra Place, and the 11 floors of Palliser One).

Calgary's doing well in the highrise apartment department. Does anyone remember 20 years ago when high rise apartment construction was rare in this city?

Interesting discussion. In comparing highrise construction projects in Calgary to other cities, I'm happy to see that we are at least catching up as far as residential high rises go. I've left Vancouver and Toronto off the list, being they are in a different galaxy, but here's the top 10 for the rest of Canada.

*about half of Montreal's projects are mixed use, with hotel and office mixed in. Ottawa has a few mixed use ones as well.
*2 of Calgary's projects are conversions to residential (Sierra Place, and the 11 floors of Palliser One).
Just as @Silence&Motion mentioned, Ontario cities do a lot of high rise apartment buildings, and the numbers seem par for the course. When it comes to anything between Toronto and Vancouver, Calgary is kicking butt. Mostly it's catching up, but still good to see.

Kinda surprising how few Edmonton has.

I think Ontario went all-in on the "towers in the park" style development of its suburbs - more so than other jurisdictions in North America. As you mention, though, this is very common outside North America.

Even Ontario's smaller cities like Waterloo and London have similar levels of mid/high-rise apartment units to larger non-Ontario cities like Vancouver and Montreal (10-30% of total HHs). But no city comes close to Toronto, which has 44% of its total HH units in mid/high-rise apartments. 44%!! I would guess the vast majority of those apartment units are scattered across the post-war suburbs as opposed to the downtown core. I used to hate these "commie blocks", but what can I say: there's a reason Toronto has been able to absorb so many international and domestic migrants.

By point of comparison, only 7% of Calgary's HH units are in mid/high-rise buildings!!

It should be noted though: Ontario's suburban high-rises are a textbook example of why height =/= urbanity.

Dystopian towers in the park development like Cherry Hills in London are the most depressing style of residential development. Calgary is fortunate to have missed most of the 50's-60's urban renewal fad, and the MURB tax incented crap from the 70's/

Dystopian towers in the park development like Cherry Hills in London are the most depressing style of residential development. Calgary is fortunate to have missed most of the 50's-60's urban renewal fad, and the MURB tax incented crap from the 70's/

I think a lot of people are giving the "towers in the park" a fresh look these days. Myself included. Check out the Chelsea-Elliott Houses. There was a time when people accused these style buildings of destroying Manhattan (e.g. Jane Jacobs). 60 years later, it is clear that that is not the case.

My larger point is that housing diversity is something to which we should aspire. Calgary's housing stock has a lot of catching up to do in this regard.

National Post: Adam Zivo: Toronto goes to war with the province to keep housing prices high.

It's interesting to compare Calgary vs Toronto's planning strategies. As far as I can tell Calgary is actually much more progressive than Toronto in this regard. I mean virtually the entire inner city is very accommodating to missing middle and medium density development. Whereas it seems to me like Toronto is either single detached or massive towers. I haven't spent much time there so correct me if I'm wrong.

But it will be interested to see which is the nicer city 30-50 years from now given the different planning approaches. We may have been late to the game, but I think we might give Toronto/Vancouver a run for their money someday.

National Post: Adam Zivo: Toronto goes to war with the province to keep housing prices high.

It's interesting to compare Calgary vs Toronto's planning strategies. As far as I can tell Calgary is actually much more progressive than Toronto in this regard. I mean virtually the entire inner city is very accommodating to missing middle and medium density development. Whereas it seems to me like Toronto is either single detached or massive towers. I haven't spent much time there so correct me if I'm wrong.

But it will be interested to see which is the nicer city 30-50 years from now given the different planning approaches. We may have been late to the game, but I think we might give Toronto/Vancouver a run for their money someday.
A part of the picture that's missing is the older parts of Toronto, many of which are now effectively locked away from significant growth, are wildly dense for Calgary standards, even while remaining largely exclusively detached / duplex areas.

Here's a one of the locations, about 5km straight line from the financial district.

1635826474033.png

A bit closer in - almost exclusively detached or duplex. But also few parks, small school sites, zero parking or strip malls.
1635826541145.png

On street level right by the point. Note the narrow road, small lawns and minimal separation between houses:

1635826675670.png

Finally, look at the density via census mapper, that street packs it at an impressive 100 -150 people / hectare. And it's not just that street it's nearly every street, in every direction for kilometres:

1635826885864.png

Now let's look at one of Calgary's most successful redevelopment area, Marda Loop and Altadore. Not quite as far from the core at about 4km:
1635827057787.png

A closer look. Almost every house has been redeveloped + some multi-family units, more than were visible in Toronto. The scales aren't quite the same by the proportion of roads, open space and the size of schools are much larger:
1635827093448.png

Streetview is way different. Almost all redeveloped - which is great and at a higher density than before - but look at the size of the lawns, road and setbacks between houses. Huge differences from Toronto's historic "suburbs":
1635827221305.png

Finally, let's check the density. No comparison. Even in booming hyper-redeveloped Marda Loop, the area only hits the density of the average historic Toronto single-family/duplex neighbourhoods (the ones with negligible new development) for a block or two on the main strip. Marda Loop is staged to densify significantly, but that's largely driven by the new apartment developments along the main corridor. The street we are looking at is 30 - 50 people / hectare , less than a third as dense as the Toronto example.

Also note, the first time heading towards the core we start seeing historic Toronto single-family/duplex neighbourhoods density (e.g. 100-150 people per hectare) is Bankview, Lower Mount Royal and the Beltline. Think about that for a second - many of the blocks in the Beltline have less density that this random street with only houses in Toronto!

So much of the Calgary map has zero or minimal population even in our most popular areas due to huge parks, escarpments, and road setbacks. The Toronto map is dark purple for kilometres in every direction with few gaps.
1635827376924.png

I picked these two streets randomly, with not much thought beyond distance to the core. It's not a perfect comparison - but illustrates a huge difference that much of inner Toronto experiences that Calgary doesn't - ground-oriented density at extremely high levels, while having very minimal redevelopment. The difference is of course, developing our city in the age of suburbs and cars, vs Toronto developing a half-century earlier.

Calgary's huge strides in the low/midrise areas to add density of 4- 6 storey apartments, infills, townhouses etc. has been really good - but the enormous hulk of ground-oriented density at extremely high levels in Toronto is very hard to replicate, even if we compensate with 6 storey infills all over. Unless we throw away all setback, park, school and road width standards, it's unlikely we will ever approach Toronto's density in their limited redevelopment areas.

Will be very interesting to see what happens in 30-50 years to both these neighbourhoods and development in both cities. My guess - not necessarily ideal - is that Calgary is heading to a similar route as Toronto, but at a different urban scale - sure we are allowing redevelopment in more areas, but that only will get us closer to Toronto's base density they have allowed for a century despite limited infill today. Our "base" density, such as the nearly brand-new Marda Loop infills, is so low the Toronto patterns of high/low density will repeat itself, relatively speaking. Calgary will have areas and corridors of reasonably high density and areas essentially not redevelopable, filled with relatively low density single family/duplex style development.

What I'd like to see Calgary do in the next 30 - 50 years?
  • Keep doing what we are doing - more 6 storey walkups, more infill, more urban locations everywhere. Convert as many inner city corridors to high streets as possible with good base density. Need way more urban corridors and nodes of different scales in more locations (such as recent North Hill examples).
  • Push the redevelopment density into the neighbourhoods themselves as much as possible. Doesn't have to be all towers or apartments - literally do what it takes to replicate the Toronto example from 100 years ago. Some of our new townhome developments are getting closer.
  • Aggressive reduction of all parking, setback, park and road-right-of-way requirements that lock Calgary into a suburban-style of urban typology even when we redevelop.

EDIT: I thought about it more and added to above.

Last edited:
I find Calgary and Toronto extremely hard to compare. I've spent lots of time there, and agree with CB on pretty much everything.

One thing I will add, because of the (huge) width of Calgary streets, we have a lot of potential to make enjoyably functional streets at much higher density than we currently have. It's currently car centric, but if we give some of that to extra wide sidewalks, protected bike lanes, developing a good tree canopy, it'll be awesome in 20-30 years when our population has added another 1M people (assuming we haven't continued our atrociously inefficient sprawl).

Back