Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 90 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
Man, I got serious anxiety now. The design may just suck. CMLC did a great job in EV as their goal was to model after European streets. CSEC seems like the shady type of corporation to model after the streets of Atlanta or OKC. I don't get why the City couldn't just make a deal to leave a little strip of land along Olympic way and build some skinny midrises in front of the Arena? That way CSEC could have built their profit-maximizing sterile box and
CMLC could have helped activate the street front
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 4.48.20 PM.png

red=seperate midrises with street retail
Orange=arena

So I read the declassified meetings between YYCCC and CSEC. In January 2021 it was brought to the attention of YYCCC and CSEC that the total cost estimate was going to be $620 million dollars. It turns out that the initial plans called for a cheaper inverted bowl design, but designers quickly realized it wasn't going to work and so instead went with a traditional arena design. This (along with building material costs) is where they started to go over budget.

It should also be noted that the $620 million doesn't include extra costs. This excludes budgeted amounts for which each side is responsible. The city is budgeted for flood mitigation and off site levies (somewhere around $10 million.) Of CSEC's additional costs they added was the first 1 million for inital retail fit up costs.

That render doesn't show anything at all. It is.....a building. I can't comment more than that at all. We shall see from other angles, but I would expect more from DIALOG. That being said, that empty blank space could be very very very cool if it is a giant screen, much like the building in Chendgu has.

Back