News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Municipal Politics

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No surprises there, his brother is a top advisor for the Liberals. He just used the councilor seat as a stepping stone for his political career. Also, George's cousin is Rajan Sawhney, the UCP MLA. They're just a political clout chasing family. George and Rajan both don't have the best rep within the Indo-Canadian community, but George has gained some respect for being heavily supportive towards his ward during times of disaster. Regardless, I was never a big fan of him anyway, so he won't be missed at a City level. I just hope someone with a strong urban understanding and not in the pockets of these local greenfield developers gets elected.

Up to 9 new faces at least on Council. This has to be one of the biggest change overs in Calgary election history. I actually anticipate at least 11 new faces, as a couple of others I don't think will be able to win re-election.

Gotta say I'm getting a little nervous about this election. I really hope the next council isn't just a bunch of NIMBY-ish councilors.

As far as Nenshi running for the liberals I'm not quite sure if I see it in the cards, at least not right now. I imagine him probably wanting to take a break from politics, at least a little while. But then again I suppose he'd have a pretty strong shot at winning a seat in Calgary and some federal representation within the ruling party (if the liberals do in fact win) would certainly be a good thing for Calgary.

It will be a super interesting election. The donation limits are really hitting ward races, and city wide races. There are only so many people willing to donate with no tax receipt. The Ward races will be a volunteer dog fight imo. The Mayor race will be all about who is in the 'breakout group'—the 3, 4, 5 or 6 candidates who are polling above the margin of error around labour day, and then the real campaign in front of the media can begin.

Nenshi should run for the Alberta Party in the next provincial election.
What practical difference would there be between a Nenshi-led AP and a Notley-led NDP? I don't see that doing anything other than handing the election to the UCP by splitting the vote among non-conservatives in Calgary.

Gotta say I'm getting a little nervous about this election. I really hope the next council isn't just a bunch of NIMBY-ish councilors.

As far as Nenshi running for the liberals I'm not quite sure if I see it in the cards, at least not right now. I imagine him probably wanting to take a break from politics, at least a little while. But then again I suppose he'd have a pretty strong shot at winning a seat in Calgary and some federal representation within the ruling party (if the liberals do in fact win) would certainly be a good thing for Calgary.
Oh yeah, the Federal Liberals have historically been awesome for Alberta.

Oh yeah, the Federal Liberals have historically been awesome for Alberta.
I'm just saying, if they're going to be the governing party it would be better for us to at least have some representation from within the party itself. The fact that the federal government doesn't have a single representative from Alberta isn't exactly good for the province

Cross posted from the Green Line thread:
Mayoral candidates on the future of the Green Line:

The Firefighters paid for this survey so caveats apply, but here it is.

Majority undecided for Mayor:
0AEC18B9-5DA9-4AEB-B7B1-4E760F5285A0.png

undecideds quite undecided:
45380B91-83FC-4F5D-8581-475B385C84DD.png

People don’t know who Jeff Davison or Jyoti Gondek are, and among those who do they are evenly split favourable/unfavourable:
9785A32B-8ED8-4FAA-ABC7-CEA3033D58C7.png

article:

Sutherland out. That is 10 new faces to sure. This is starting to feel like rats leaving a sinking ship. What are we going to discover come November?
We will be very lucky if: greenline comes in with any within budget bids (even with the 20-30% contingency); if the event centre comes back with only a $50 million overrun; if the city SAVE program actually finds half the $60 million necessary in yearly, sustainable savings (equivalent to 4% of residential tax points).

The next council will need to negotiate labour contracts after years of wage freezes in an environment with inflation. They’ll need to deal with massive retention problems among professional staff after a decade of cost containment. The next Council even if SAVE works still needs to close a $100 million budget gap. Plus deal with higher service demands because the city is still growing in population and area. And due to economic recovery (but not for everyone) requiring more services from both sides.

Expect 4% tax increases each year as a major accomplishment, and anything below 6% as prudent.

It is going to be a challenging and transformative 4 years.

Last edited:

Back