Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
Had they built only 1 tower, it would've been a pass, but they built 2! Like Wtf. I love tall towers but they gotta be well designed and executed like our 4 tallest right now. I'd take mediocre looking towers that are under 30 storey any day as long as the podium is thoughtfully designed to be pedestrian-friendly. The body of these towers isn't bad but that crown and more importantly the podium just destroys the whole development.

I Hope Cidex is reading our forum messages, I'm sure I can speak for all of us that we got nothing personally against them, in fact, much love to them for employing hundreds of Albertans in these difficult times, but jeez, you don't need an expensive design to have an appealing tower and pedestrian-friendly podium. If you want a good design with cheap costs, maybe start contracting the designs to local Canadian Uni students that are in architecture rather than NORR.

Looking at the photos I think the majority of the 'pokadot pattern' is some sort of wrap that has yet to be removed from some panels. That being said there is a single panel that looks to be solid grey. My best guess is the crown will end up with a single grey horizontal stripe to match the grey stripe patterns on the tower but the remainder of the crown will all be the same colour once panels are replaced or wrap is removed.

WV Towers look good today!

686D0B61-44AB-47DE-ABA8-CDC288E72726.jpeg

Looking at the photos I think the majority of the 'pokadot pattern' is some sort of wrap that has yet to be removed from some panels. That being said there is a single panel that looks to be solid grey. My best guess is the crown will end up with a single grey horizontal stripe to match the grey stripe patterns on the tower but the remainder of the crown will all be the same colour once panels are replaced or wrap is removed.
Where you see Alpolic written on the panel, that's the protective wrap. Alpolic is a cladding manufacturer https://www.alpolic-americas.com/

"Hey we're short on material, you got any beige left from the podium? Just one panel? Ok send it up and then give Riocan a call and see what's left over from their East Village job. I'm sure they've got something bold that we could make fit. Maybe they have a couple bright purple/blue panels. Have I told you how much I love that Live on the Park tower? Let's do one like that next."

west-village-closeup-001-jpg.283238

Well that is quite an unsettling statement, so I pulled out my old hand held camera with an 18x optical zoom, and did my best to hold it steady. Probably not the best lighting, nor the steadiest hand, but here is what I could get a picture of:View attachment 283238
From what I can see, that is still the exposed insulation panels, waiting for spandrel. Except maybe the last picture, which appears to show a tan piece in the middle of the row, which might be proof that Calgouver is correct.... I am trying to be optimistic that Cidex wouldn`t make such an objectively bad design choice, so fingers crossed.

Im so confused, like what could they have possibly been thinking? It looks like they went to the salvage yard and just picked the first pieces of garbage they saw and said "yeah that'll do'

I get the impression there's a lot of glass that's just covered up right now or something, and the crown will look much different when it's actually complete. The windows that are visible in the picture above have no pattern or sense of consistency at all. Looks very incomplete, which I'm pretty sure it is.

I get the impression there's a lot of glass that's just covered up right now or something, and the crown will look much different when it's actually complete. The windows that are visible in the picture above have no pattern or sense of consistency at all. Looks very incomplete, which I'm pretty sure it is.

There’s no glass above or beyond what’s already installed. Except for the one missing where the tarp is blowing out.

Back