Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
Am ok with the tower(barely) but the podium is hideous, both the colors and the design. I don't understand how Cidex can have a tower that's nearly topped off without having any glazing installed, WTH??? I heard the same thing happened on the first tower. Obviously a massive lack of accountability and pragmatism. The owners of the crane must be loving this project considering the current economy.

It comes down to what type of business you want to be. Developers like Cidex who are extremely risk and cost averse likely wouldn't go for a boutique architect. Firms like NORR and S2 and Gibbs Gage are production firms who need to do a lot of volume to make money. Boutique architects like Marc Boutin or MoDa are more likely to stick to their guns on a design and are less likely to land a client like Cidex.

Basically, do you want to run a business that makes money, or do you want to make great buildings? Sadly it seems these days like you can't do both.
From what I can tell, Cidex is having some serious issues with these 2 towers. Anyone who has worked on a high rise knows that glazing can be installed 4 floors below the floor that is being poured.(when the reshore has been removed). They have topped off the first tower without having any glazing. I think they have had some serious issues with the glazing contractor. They probably went with the cheapest contractor they could find and now their schedule has been completely messed up. Am curious who's picking up the bill for the crane. Cidex- cheap comes at a cost. They must be so blinded by how cheap they are that they don't even consider risk.

I've never heard it put better, "so blinded by how cheap they are that they don't even consider risk." That explains Cidex and all of their high-rises to a T.

I like the towers, even with the mechanical louvers, it still looks good to me. The podium I don;t care for, but I like that there will be some retail at the street level.
i like everything about it - I can't wait for it to be done so I can walk around it- I hope they can get Tower C up and running too so its a complete building instead of a portion of it cut off.

i like everything about it - I can't wait for it to be done so I can walk around it- I hope they can get Tower C up and running too so its a complete building instead of a portion of it cut off.

This is completely outrageous and literally impossible. You either work for Cidex, or are a Trump supporter and this building is secretly owned by Trump 😂🤣

The towers could have been so much better, but they still easily beat pretty much every building around them. The west end is the most underwhelming high-rise neighbourhood we have though, so that really isn't saying much lol. I've said it before, the tenants in the podium can make or break this project. Something with decent street activation would do wonders for the area.

It’s going to be a hard sell with vacancies all over in much better locations.

If only this was 10 years ago, Staples leased up a significant section and then that land was redeveloped after too.
Yeah ... I can't believe the amount of ground floor retail space that is vacant in the CBD and Beltline. The ways things are going for small business in this pandemic/Alberta recession, it is only going to get worse. Like the glut of office space, it is going to take years to fill the retail space.

The towers could have been so much better, but they still easily beat pretty much every building around them. The west end is the most underwhelming high-rise neighbourhood we have though, so that really isn't saying much lol. I've said it before, the tenants in the podium can make or break this project. Something with decent street activation would do wonders for the area.

On a positive note, we've come a long way in 20 years. It was exciting to see those west end buildings go up in the early 200ish, after not seeing any residential highrises for so long, now we have a pair towers that blow those ones away, and nobody likes them. We must be world class now.

Back