Eau Claire West | 109.11m | 33s | QuadReal | NORR

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
This proposal was submitted back in April; 2015 and was recently approved by the Calgary Planning Commission. A application for a building permit was submitted on Oct 22 to build the first of the seven towers. W4, the tallest building of the group will be the first one built.

DEVELOPMENT PERMIT – NEW: RESTAURANT: LICENSED -
SMALL, RESTAURANT: FOOD SERVICE ONLY - SMALL, CHILD
CARE SERVICE, HOTEL, MULTI-RESIDENTIAL
DEVELOPMENT, RETAIL AND CONSUMER SERVICE,
SUPERMARKET (10 PHASES, 7 BUILDINGS, 1095 UNITS)
EAU CLAIRE COMMUNITY (WARD 7)
2 AVENUE SW AND 5 STREET SW

This Development Permit application is for a phased development of seven (7) primarily
residential mixed-use towers, ranging between 66 metres and 109 metres in height, across two
(2) city blocks in Eau Claire, providing 1095 dwellings units and 421 hotel rooms.

E1-19 Floors, 66 meters
W1-19 Floors, 66 meters
W2-28 Floors, 83 meters
H1-20 Floors, 87 meters
E2-27 Floors, 90 meters
W3-29 Floors, 93 meters
W4 -33 Floors, 109 meters

B8Tlg-FCcAE5Si5.jpg

https://twitter.com/druhfarrell
9982392.jpg

eau-claire-drawings.jpg

9982393.jpg

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Massive+urban+village+planned+Claire+Lands/9982391/story.html

E1-19 Floors, 66 meters
W1-19 Floors, 66 meters
W2-28 Floors, 83 meters
H1-20 Floors, 87 meters
E2-27 Floors, 90 meters
W3-29 Floors, 93 meters
W4 -33 Floors, 109 meters

urP0yMD.png

So has this project been officially beat to death yet or is there still hope?

I believe GWL was going to develop this for BCIMC who owned the land. They were all set to start construction in late 2016 when GWL went through some restructuring, and as a result of this, BCIMC transferred a lot of their residential real estate assets over to a newly created company.

https://www.quadreal.com/about-us/portfolio/

Last I heard, it will be this company who will resurrect the project. I don't know what they are waiting for as we have seen several large scale rental projects take shape in other areas of the inner city since Eau Claire was first announced.

If, this and the Eau Claire Market redevelopment were both to come through to the construction stage, those two combined would probably be one of the top 3 biggest construction projects in all of Canada. One can only dream:rolleyes:

Both would be built in phases over years. There's some very large developments being built in Canada as well.

Hi All,
This Project Will B Most Interesting if It ever gets off the Ground. Its 7 Bldgs if I am correct. In Counting it really
looks l0 in Total. Long Term Project? Yes. Will add a lot to the Mix ot the Downtown Areas as such.
Tnx, Operater,

It would be a nice density boost for the area, and would be great to see that huge empty lot built, but the project is probably shelved until things pick up, and by the time things pick up and it ever gets developed the design will probably change. One of the things I like about this design is all the buildings are different.

would be been really awesome to see that one designed like a honey pot to have been built! Sad we likely wont see any of this now.

This one was always intended to be purpose rental project (plus a hotel). I for one am surprised that at least one or two of the towers did not get going given all of the other construction activity on rentals going on in the core. At least 10 other projects started and or finished before this ever got a shovel in the ground.

40yrs after the eau claire remediation was done its still a parking lot. on the bright side the npv of a downtown parking lot must crumbling these days.

This one was always intended to be purpose rental project (plus a hotel). I for one am surprised that at least one or two of the towers did not get going given all of the other construction activity on rentals going on in the core. At least 10 other projects started and or finished before this ever got a shovel in the ground.

The owner has been actively expanding their portfolio. They just added the Residence Inn and rental tower last year.

Back