News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Now if only we could get a proper grocery store into Bridgeland. My wife's parents are considering moving from Ottawa to Calgary. They're in their 70s and no longer drive. It's amazing how limited Calgary is when it comes to complete communities. Their only asks are being able to walk to groceries and primary transit (ideally LRT) and Sunnyside, East Village, Tuxedo Park (with the 301/future Green Line) and Mission (with the #3 bus) are pretty much the only communities that fit those criteria. Pretty sad for a city of 1.4 million people.

I totally forgot about the Garrison Woods Safeway. One thing is the Garrison woods Safeway is busy.
I could definitely see it working. That Safeway services a lot of communities and the only other grocery stores to choose from for people in that area are the Walmart by Shaganappi and the Co-op on 11th.

As a Marda Loop resident, and given Co-op's record in the other "urban" properties they're trying to develop in the city, I'm a little worried. I don't want any massive blank walls or loading docks on 33 ave or 20 st.

That said, while the establishments in this strip mall are all well-used, the strip mall itself is a disaster. That tiny parking lot cannot accommodate all the dude-bros driving their pick-up trucks to Merchant's for happy hour. Someone's going to get killed one of these days.

Now if only we could get a proper grocery store into Bridgeland. My wife's parents are considering moving from Ottawa to Calgary. They're in their 70s and no longer drive. It's amazing how limited Calgary is when it comes to complete communities. Their only asks are being able to walk to groceries and primary transit (ideally LRT) and Sunnyside, East Village, Tuxedo Park (with the 301/future Green Line) and Mission (with the #3 bus) are pretty much the only communities that fit those criteria. Pretty sad for a city of 1.4 million people.

I agree, although Marda Loop would also be an option. No LRT, but it does have a BRT and several other bus lines that connect it directly to downtown.

i think you guys are mistaken on this location. "Marda Loop Village" is the block that includes global pet foods, nho saigon, jugo juice etc.

The strip mall with Merchants in called Marda Loop Center. Correct me if i'm wrong though

You might be right, I googled it and the Street view came up with that little mall so I assume that must be the place, but I don’t know the mall either way so I could be wrong.
i think you guys are mistaken on this location. "Marda Loop Village" is the block that includes global pet foods, nho saigon, jugo juice etc.

The strip mall with Merchants in called Marda Loop Center. Correct me if i'm wrong though

Oops, TMZ reporting death of a parking lot too soon. It’s still alive.

If you look on the street view you can see a sign for “Marda Loop Village” on the south side. potatopizzafan gets points for being on the ball.

You might be right, I googled it and the Street view came up with that little mall so I assume that must be the place, but I don’t know the mall either way so I could be wrong.

Nah. Varsity is awesome. And Brentwood etc etc.

Downtown West End?....

Similar situation for me. My wife's parents also retired and also from Ottawa settled in Mission and really liked it. Transit isn't as good as Sunnyside, but they could walk to most places. They used to take the Ctrain to Chinook.

Yeah you're missing quite a few neighbourhoods

Looks like you're right, it's the lot across the street to the south. Still a nice lot to develop, and makes more sense given the size of the lot. Popeye's looks like it might have actually been a grocery store at one time.

marda_loop_village-copy.jpg

^^^ Devastating.

You're missing like... a lot of neighbourhoods. The entire Beltline, Chinatown, Eau Claire, Mission, Cliff Bungalow, Lower Mount Royal, Mount Pleasant (having lived there and never driven, its an excellent place to live), Tuxedo, Crescent Heights, Downtown West, Scarboro, Hillhurst, Hounsfield Heights/Briar Hill, Dalhousie, and Varsity in the area closer to the station. I'm sure I'm missing some, but every one of those neighbourhoods is within walking distance of groceries and the LRT except for a few, which all have extremely frequent and reliable bus service.

Back