News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary's Heritage Resources

Century-old landmark building could be in line for a comeback

Image32.jpg

Last edited:
That's great news! If the Minto proposal gets built, that area will have a totally different feel to it.

Yeah, currently 4th st feels like ...unloved commercial remnants. and Edmonton Tr (north) feels like what it was, a 1970s bulldoze through the residential portions of the blocks.

Turning Southbound into a bustling retail zone that ties nicely into 1st Ave would be sweet and would really create a NE Kensington

Question regarding Inglewood. I have heard that Inglewood/Ramsey area was once called Mills Estates. I was wondering what the story was behind it.

Yeah, I believe "Inglewood" is a more recent name, and Ramsay too. This map is from 1946

inglewood map.png

This 1910 directory indicates that "Inglewood" or "Inglewood Subdivision" is just the name of the residential section owned by and adjacent to Colonel Walker's estate (the bird sanctuary today)

inglewood name.png

At one point part of Inglewood was also known as Brewery Flats

Also according to Wikipedia

The area now known as Ramsay was developed in the 1880s by Wesley Fletcher Orr and his partners. It was named Ramsay in 1956 when residents of Burnsland, Brewery Flats, Grandview and Mills Estate consolidated as a new community. It was named for William Thomson Ramsay (1857-1921), an early land agent and property owner.

So Inglewood and Ramsay were originally many, maybe as many as 6 or 8 tiny communities.

Interesting, when using the Internet in that area, the location of the IP address comes up as Mills Estate. I didn’t know there were so many micro neighborhoods in that area.
Yeah, I believe "Inglewood" is a more recent name, and Ramsay too. This map is from 1946

View attachment 225474

This 1910 directory indicates that "Inglewood" or "Inglewood Subdivision" is just the name of the residential section owned by and adjacent to Colonel Walker's estate (the bird sanctuary today)

View attachment 225475

The area now known as Ramsay was developed in the 1880s by Wesley Fletcher Orr and his partners. It was named Ramsay in 1956 when residents of Burnsland, Brewery Flats, Grandview and Mills Estate consolidated as a new community. It was named for William Thomson Ramsay (1857-1921), an early land agent and property owner.

Interesting, when using the Internet in that area, the location of the IP address comes up as Mills Estate. I didn’t know there were so many micro neighborhoods in that area.

I remember back a decade or two the calgary transit maps still showed the original communities in the area, it's like they were added to some 1940s bus map and kept getting transposed decade after decade.

Well and apparently that is still the case in 2019, interesting how historical place names have been preserved in the most unlikely places.

bus map.png

View attachment 225474

View attachment 225475

So Inglewood and Ramsay were originally many, maybe as many as 6 or 8 tiny communities.

My grandparents always referred to Inglewood as "East Calgary".

I never knew that building on the corner of Marsh Road beside Lukes was a buried heritage building. It has been vacant for a while now so maybe we will see a reno in the near future. It is not very marketable as it stands today.

Hard to say if any of the brick cladding remains underneath, but the structural shape (dimensions, pillars, west facing roof ..thing, etc) seem to match the historic photos.

Yeah, that must be the case. I guess someone who did the google maps started out from older paper maps, and it kept going.

It's funny because I remember paper street maps from the 80's showing the neighborhood of Burnsland and Grandview.

I remember back a decade or two the calgary transit maps still showed the original communities in the area, it's like they were added to some 1940s bus map and kept getting transposed decade after decade.

Well and apparently that is still the case in 2019, interesting how historical place names have been preserved in the most unlikely places.

View attachment 225476

There is word out that HBC's parent company is looking "monetize" its real estate holdings including its historic downtown department store locations. By the sounds of it, Winnipeg's store is at risk of demo. Does anyone know if HBC still owns the DT Calgary location? I know it's not protected, so i'm getting a little nervous at the news that a NYC based company is sniffing around at opportunities to capitalize on real estate.

It would be completely insane to demo the HBC store in this day and age. That would be akin to Montreal demoing the Bonsecours Market building. I feel like it would have a really low chance of happening, but stupider things have been proposed. This is one of our last 10 major historic structures, it's shocking that it's not protected really. What is wrong with the Calgary Heritage Authority?

Back