MacKimmie Complex and Professional Faculties Building Redevelopment | ?m | 15s | U of C | DIALOG

Looks like they're getting ready to start work on the reconstruction of Swan Mall.

DaJDlKuxT4mmQgOlABErIw.jpg
pNjx3RUWRsOGoY%ArlX8Tw.jpg

A view of some of the computer controlled blinds on the NE side of the tower:

These are different from the roll blinds seen earlier on the west exposure, which could mean there are two sets of blinds, that the blind type has been swapped out, or different parts of the tower are receiving different blinds.

Hope the renew of Swan Mall results in a more functional and welcoming public space. Unfortunately there are few spots on campus that encourage people to gather - instead much of the outdoor space on campus is a means for people to connect from point A to point B. I'm crossing my fingers that this is done right and encourages better use of the space.

Holy crap I had no idea they were that far along on the south end! And I'm at the school four days a week! :p

Holy crap I had no idea they were that far along on the south end! And I'm at the school four days a week! :p
It went from almost nothing to done in a few days. They had been forming and pouring all of the cast elements at the north end of the site and moved them it seems. They also created a mini line to produce the large pavers on site.

In other news, the first offices moved in today.

Colonnade:

Interior hallway (the right side will be open to an atria type space in two years, so please forgive the wall for now. The panels on the ceiling are heating and cooling radiant panels, in addition to being lights. The floor is raised for air circulation and utilities):

I believe it could have been built up to 20, and have heard once or twice the structure would have supported 30 floors. However, the elevator load would have necessitated a huge reconfiguration which would have made it better to pull it down and rebuild instead. 30 floors of books would have less travellers than 30 floors of 80 people a floor.

Back