M2 Block | ?m | 4s | XYC | Riddell Kurczaba

Yeah that's been public for a couple years now. It'll be 2000 square feet apparently, with that huuuge terrace overlooking the Bow River.

I heard a rumour that Cactus Club will be taking one of the two commercial spaces on the ground floor of this building. Has anyone heard anything similar?
I haven’t heard that, but I think it would be great. Some people might not like that it’s a chain, but they are busy restaurants and usually have good patio action.

I heard a rumour that Cactus Club will be taking one of the two commercial spaces on the ground floor of this building. Has anyone heard anything similar?

Makes sense, they are all about spaces with a lot of glass and an parkside/pathside location. This could be Calgary’s answer to Cactus Club English Bay

I have heard the Cactus Club rumour 10 times over the last several years. I know that they were indeed interested in space there, but have also heard that they aren't moving forward with it. Things could have definitely changed again though.

Cactus club is bumping especially in the summers so I don't mind it but maybe down the line they can consider adding a nightclub or trendy late night lounge in one of the future builds along the river.

Hot Waitresses are the reason they're always busy. That and the food is good, albeit pricey. It's an expense account/corporate card place, but yeah, it'll add some life to the area. My preference would be something like the Rose and Crown in that space, or from a chain perspective, a Jamieson's.

I'm not sure that chains create vibrancy. I'd hate for the area to start developing a Stephen Avenue/Eau Claire feel.
Stephen Avenue is arguably the most successful urban public space in the city and doesn't have much in common with Eau Claire at all. Developing a Stephen Avenue level of vibrancy for the Riverwalk would be the ultimate success for the area.

Also, given the required rates of return to make new construction economical and the lack of older existing retail stock, we are going to see a lot of chain retail going into the East Village. The unfortunate challenge that comes with redeveloping a master planned area from a blank slate is that it will take years for the district to develop an organic retail vibrancy.

Stephen Avenue is arguably the most successful urban public space in the city and doesn't have much in common with Eau Claire at all. Developing a Stephen Avenue level of vibrancy for the Riverwalk would be the ultimate success for the area.

Also, given the required rates of return to make new construction economical and the lack of older existing retail stock, we are going to see a lot of chain retail going into the East Village. The unfortunate challenge that comes with redeveloping a master planned area from a blank slate is that it will take years for the district to develop an organic retail vibrancy.

And also, I can't really think of any chain restaurants on Stephen Ave other then the Mcdonalds and the A&W which are on opposite ends. ?

And also, I can't really think of any chain restaurants on Stephen Ave other then the Mcdonalds and the A&W which are on opposite ends. ?
Original Joes, Earl's, Cactus Club, Milestone's and the James Joyce (owned by Jameson Group) are chains.

Despite that, there are far more non-chains, and I think those chains help fill in a busy corridor that needs help with the volume. Stephen Ave gets pretty damned busy at times.

Back