Votes: 20 51.3%
  • So So

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I wonder if this will get opposition from the residents? Glo got kiboshed and IMO it was as nice if not nicer.

This is pretty underwhelming. The scale is great for 5th and backing on Riley Park. If this were buried in a lower profile location in Hillhurst/Sunnyside it'd be fine, but 5th gets a decent amount of people traffic. Ezra's treatment of the alley/laneway is so much better than the surface parking here.
Like others have said it's purpose built rentals (which is great for the neighbourhood) who knows how high a standard can be expected.

I wonder if this will get opposition from the residents? Glo got kiboshed and IMO it was as nice if not nicer.

Odds are DPs in Hillhurst/Sunnyside get appealed, there is always someone with a NIMBY axe to grind and $100 to spend. But I predict that there will be a little less resistance to this one given that it backs on the park versus dealing with neighbors across a lane.

I like it. I agree with others, it's not the Sistine Chapel, but I don't believe it needs to be. It's needs to be a decent looking building that's decently affordable. 5th ave is busy, but not a main corridor like 10th, this will be fine.

I'm sure that there will be some resistance but I can't imagine many people getting worked up. Ezra has already shown that this scale alongside Riley Park doesn't destroy the character of the neighbourhood or deprive the children somewhere to play.

Opposition to anything multi family in the inner city is a guaranteed these days, but I don’t believe there will be much. I’m confident it’ll be approved.
I'm sure that there will be some resistance but I can't imagine many people getting worked up. Ezra has already shown that this scale alongside Riley Park doesn't destroy the character of the neighbourhood or deprive the children somewhere to play.

This one goes to CPC Next week. Apparently renamed Victoria on the park. Seems confusing to me, given that it isn't located in Victoria Park.
Report:

DP Drawings:

First thing that would take this up a notch is brick to 3 storeys and then 4 in the middle. Then the grey siding wouldn’t cross over the whole face and the fact that the white section does would be more prominent. It’s a bit messy with 3 single levels having different looks/colours/materials and the brick levels feel squat. It should look like a street of 3 storey brick brownstones that had 2 glass levels added on top. I still like it though and welcome it to my neighbourhood.

Second option is to let Calgcouver re-design it.

First thing that would take this up a notch is brick to 3 storeys and then 4 in the middle. Then the grey siding wouldn’t cross over the whole face and the fact that the white section does would be more prominent. It’s a bit messy with 3 single levels having different looks/colours/materials and the brick levels feel squat. It should look like a street of 3 storey brick brownstones that had 2 glass levels added on top. I still like it though and welcome it to my neighbourhood.

Second option is to let Calgcouver re-design it.

Lol. I do live and work in Calgary again, so maybe they can ask me to consult on this haha.

I agree with your take on the redesign. At present i can only describe this rendering as aggressively bland, and somehow busy and disjointed. For a building that is symmetrical, it is kind of amazing that it has no rhythm. Also the window shapes and mullions are wrong, and the windows lack depth or a ledge which makes it feel cheap. The blue spandrel on the white brick portions is misplaced and cheapens the look further. They should simplify the materials used to two or three and focus on have properly proportioned windows, that are either skinnier and taller (Georgian), or the boxy industrial look ones.

Here is a quick take on what i would do to fix it.

And here is a street view of a building that my last company built that i think is a great example of good materials, and symmetry that this development could learn from:

And here are bonus pics of cool buildings, because every page of every thread deserves eye candy.

Last edited:
Demo will be starting on this one pretty soon, if it hasn't already.

From the CA:

As of today (November 1, 2019), fencing has been assembled around the development site between 10thStreet and 11th Street on the north side of 5th Avenue NW. Asbestos removal for the multi-residential buildings have been scheduled for the week of November 4th. Asbestos has already been removed from the small white bungalow.

Through the developer, community members are welcome to salvage items (lights, door knobs, doors, windows, building materials, interior finishing, etc.) from the buildings after the asbestos removal is complete. Any salvage activity is dependent on the timing for asbestos removal and dependent on the items people would like to take (see link below for photos).

HSCA was granted access into the buildings to take photos last week: take a look at https://photos.app.goo.gl/PAnw5tZjkbrsDG848.

If you are interested in taking any items, please contact us at lisa.c@hsca.ca and we will connect you with the site manager. Note: community members are responsible for their own pick up, transportation and scheduling their own salvage dates/times with the site manager.

Back