News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Does anyone know if the development that is almost finished construction next to CSpace (not the Edward, the other one) has an affordable housing component? Or is the marketing just "geared" towards artists?

I guess not big news in terms of scale but still some good news. Another Luxury movie theatre set to open at University District in 2021. It'll be interesting to see how it'll coexist with the one opening right nearby at Market Mall. On a related note, I'm still hoping for some sort of movie theatre announcement in the near future along 17th ave or by Victoria park. Kind of sucks to see the only real movie theatre for the Core is the one in Eau Claire and its definitely well past its good days. I know Guzzo Cinemas from Montreal is looking to expand into Calgary so this would be a great opportunity for them. But I would prefer Cineplex as my choice for a prominent theatre along 17th/Victoria park, particularly if we're wanting to have the complete entertainment package in the entertainment district.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/university-district-adults-only-vip-cinema-calgary-1.4935040

Edit: Just noticed @dougsie uploaded the same news on the other forum a few minutes earlier. Oops on my part.Everyones on top of their game these days when it comes to posting news:D

Last edited:
I guess not big news in terms of scale but still some good news. Another Luxury movie theatre set to open at University District in 2021. It'll be interesting to see how it'll coexist with the one opening right nearby at Market Mall. On a related note, I'm still hoping for some sort of movie theatre announcement in the near future along 17th ave or by Victoria park. Kind of sucks to see the only real movie theatre for the Core is the one in Eau Claire and its definitely well past its good days. I know Guzzo Cinemas from Montreal is looking to expand into Calgary so this would be a great opportunity for them. But I would prefer Cineplex as my choice for a prominent theatre along 17th/Victoria park, particularly if we're wanting to have the complete entertainment package in the entertainment district.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/university-district-adults-only-vip-cinema-calgary-1.4935040

Eau Claire Cineplex had good days? Hard to tell from the likes of it...

A Cineplex would be great, particularly in the Beltline - I usually have to drive out to Chinook (or Landmark Country Hills if I'm looking for Recliner seats). The Beltline definitely has the population to support it, but it would be probably cannibalize other theatres (esp. Eau Claire). I'm willing to bet when that Eau Claire redevelopment goes forward, Cineplex seriously looks into another theatre in the inner city, but in a better location.

A Cineplex would be great, particularly in the Beltline - I usually have to drive out to Chinook (or Landmark Country Hills if I'm looking for Recliner seats). The Beltline definitely has the population to support it, but it would be probably cannibalize other theatres (esp. Eau Claire). I'm willing to bet when that Eau Claire redevelopment goes forward, Cineplex seriously looks into another theatre in the inner city, but in a better location.

LOL when I was younger it definitely didn't look as depressing as it does today. At this point it has become very very outdated. As far as a Beltline theatre cannibalizing other theatres, I don't really see that happening if the projected population for the Beltline is suppose to be over 50 000. Plus theres bound to be more residential growth around Downtown (East Village and West Village). We have these two niche theatres going up around Market Mall so we're gonna have to see how that works out, if they can coexist or not.

I would have much preferred as part of the Core renovation - or even the nice but completely underused Courthouse Park - a theatre integrated into the mall and the 4th Street SW LRT station. Huge missed opportunity to bring large numbers of people into the core off-hours, including families and young people. If a complaint is a lack of vibrancy and diversity, a movie theatre is an asset you'd want in a vibrant core that is implicitly or explicitly trying to be a destination for entertainment. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver all have multiple urban format movie theatres in the core or surrounding neighbourhoods.

Given the population growth and continued centralizing role that the downtown and city centre has, I would expect it to only be a matter of time for a new theatre. Hopefully the next iteration of a downtown theatre scheme is not contingent on some multi-billion mega project like the Eau Claire proposal from a few years ago so we can actually get one.

I would like to see a theatre complex (with some added retail) in along 10th ave by the CP tracks in one of those empty lots. A +15 connection from the CBD side and an nice inviting street entrance on the 10th ave side.

That would be great, but due to the zoning, those parcels will all be high-rises. I would love to see a theatre around the Mount royal Village area.

Both Bankers Hall and Esso Square used to have theatres. Maybe another modern complex too iirc. Not a great money maker and you have to make a large column free space.

I would like to see a theatre complex (with some added retail) in along 10th ave by the CP tracks in one of those empty lots. A +15 connection from the CBD side and an nice inviting street entrance on the 10th ave side.
I would love to see that alongside a concept similar to the Rec Room. The core is lacking a good billiards hall with proper Snooker tables (apart from the Legion) and every bar i've been to that has games seems to be pretty happening-- Home and Away and the National comes to mind.

To add to the wishlist of things we'd like to see added to the centre city I would love to see someone introduce a bar concept I came across in the UK this summer.

https://www.junkyardgolfclub.co.uk

These bars are 18+ venues that offer a main bar area that offers a full food menu, DJ'd music on the weekends and multiple mini-golf courses in the venue with each course wrapping around its own individual bar so people can get drinks as they play.

The two venues I was at were packed and I think the concept would really take off in Calgary as there really isn't anything like that here. You either have lame venues like Shank's or places that focus on families. Place it in one of the warehouse venues along 10th Ave close to National, Craft and Gretta Bar and I think it would really add to the entertainment district that is developing there.

Put me down for a new Cineplex downtown as well :)

heres something from Edmonton Trail NE. Maybe somebody knows the name of this project?

C5ADD1B5-5766-4B86-8775-E07E71EE4CD1.jpeg

Back