News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Experiences at other forums

Hate to add to your concern, but SSP Calgary’s death spiral aside, the site itself is on its last legs. The version of VBulletin that runs the site is old and vulnerable security wise. A lot of providers won’t even let you run the site like that on their network anymore. The owner is going to have to upgrade by starting a whole new site or let this one runs its course and then pull the plug. I give it a year, two years tops.

After that of course all those users are going to be looking for a forum. So yeah, your concern is legit.

I'd love to get them here. Beyond Calgary and Edmonton (and Toronto) we're pretty much a work in progress. I'd love to figure out how to encourage them to come here.

I'd love to get them here. Beyond Calgary and Edmonton (and Toronto) we're pretty much a work in progress. I'd love to figure out how to encourage them to come here.
For other cities, yes, but not the remaining members of the Calgary forum. A half dozen or so members are good, but the rest wouldn't be beneficial to SRC. Some of the biggest idiots you'll ever meet.

Hate to add to your concern, but SSP Calgary’s death spiral aside, the site itself is on its last legs. The version of VBulletin that runs the site is old and vulnerable security wise. A lot of providers won’t even let you run the site like that on their network anymore. The owner is going to have to upgrade by starting a whole new site or let this one runs its course and then pull the plug. I give it a year, two years tops.
After that of course all those users are going to be looking for a forum. So yeah, your concern is legit.
Interesting. I would guess that the owner would upgrade though. They already have a lot of users, wouldn't upgrade be the smart move?

Interesting. I would guess that the owner would upgrade though. They already have a lot of users, wouldn't upgrade be the smart move?

Seems to be an abseentee landlord. At least the last time we talked.

They could upgrade but it would be costly. The version they are running is 20 years old and has long been unsupported. To upgrade really entails a whole new website and platform. It can run as it is for now, but like I was saying, service providers are cracking down on sites that aren’t secure, like SSP and thus why it is living in borrowed time.

Seems to be an abseentee landlord. At least the last time we talked.
I used to be a mod at SSP years ago and still keep in touch with some of the mods. Word is the owner D***n has checked out and is letting the site run its course until the plug is pulled.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I stopped by SSP, since I haven't been there for a while, and it's even worse than it was before! The airport thread is the only decent thread. I knew the construction thread was going to crash and burn at some point, but not so soon. My concern is now is the possibility that all of the users move over here. Outside of maybe 4 or 5 members still there, the rest are better off there and not here.

We're not all bad ;)

Interesting to hear about the absentee owner of SSP. Explains why I constantly get warnings popping up saying it is an unsecure site. Also explains the general appearance that mods there just donmt give a shit anymore. As bad as it has gotten I’ll be sad to see it go. What will happen to that database of skyscraper diagrams?

Interesting to hear about the absentee owner of SSP. Explains why I constantly get warnings popping up saying it is an unsecure site. Also explains the general appearance that mods there just donmt give a shit anymore. As bad as it has gotten I’ll be sad to see it go. What will happen to that database of skyscraper diagrams?

Just talked with Koops last week and he said he is working on keeping the Canadian part of the database updated. He's added drawings for several of our projects recently. I believe WhipperSnapper also intends to keep the database up to date.

We have a very up-to-date forum here. Having people switch is the problem. I think we could offer a great place for people not happy. Contact me if any of you have suggestions. Also if there are people who need help switching.

Yeah, the version of Vbulletin and php they run is old and vulnerable. Most sites running those versions have already been hacked along time ago, and I would say SSP has probably been hacked already. Most of the mods there have been backing up various threads and information.
If you’re still going to that site make sure you don’t use the same password you use at SSP for your bank accounts etc.

It’ll be sad to see SSP go but I already grieved it’s death a long time ago. The site hasn’t been very good the last few years.

Back