Stephen Avenue Place Revitalization | 155m | 40s | Slate

This is an awesome upgrade to what's there now. Nice new look, plus replacing a bank with a restaurant. Double down for the victory.

34147-116025.jpg

34147-116026.jpg

Attachments

• 34147-116025.jpg
    34147-116025.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 2,241
  • 34147-116026.jpg
    34147-116026.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 2,170
Last edited:
i tried the National on 8th patio Tues afternoon as was prob the last decent day for a while. was surprised to find it closed. tried a couple other places but couldnt find one around that part of town.

would like to see projects like this breathe more life into the area. the mall is so dark so street level patios i understand being closed but up there it still gets good sun. :(

wait is the open patio/bar for nationals on top still gonna be there after this redevelopment?

Is this just a podium renovation or are they doing the tower as well? Much needed at that location.

It sure is! Completion in early 2020.

We are thrilled to acquire and develop such a high-quality property in downtown Calgary that offers businesses, diners and shoppers the very best in location, amenities and access," said Slate founding partner Blair Welch. "Stephen Avenue Place will undergo an extensive renovation to fully reflect the way we work and live now, while respecting and celebrating its history and future as a Calgary landmark."

Slate also announced that it has partnered with O&B and Concorde to create three innovative and inspired dining destinations in Stephen Avenue Place; a world-class restaurant on the top floor, an eclectic food hall and a high-energy restaurant, bar and patio on the street level.

"With an elegant, sophisticated restaurant on the top floor, a chef-driven urban market on the second and a stylish ground-floor restaurant, bar and patio with soaring ceilings, Stephen Avenue Place will be the city's most unique space for experiencing Calgary's culinary creativity," said Andrew Oliver, President and CEO of O&B. "With unbelievable views and unparalleled food and service, O&B and Concorde are thrilled to be creating this unmatchable experience with Slate."

....Renovations are scheduled for completion in early 2020. For more information on Stephen Avenue Place, including leasing options, please go to stephenavenueplace.com

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...-and-extensive-renovation-plan-694492901.html

wait is the open patio/bar for nationals on top still gonna be there after this redevelopment?
I hope so, best patio in the city!

So they were saying on Global News that they want to extend Stephen Ave all the way to Mewata, it won't be a pedestrian mall past 3rd due to the many parkade entrances, but they want to improve the streetscape and try to encourage more retail. I really hope they can make it work, this is the best street in the city IMO.

Yes, it was clearly mentioned by Spring2008 that the largest rooftop patio in Western Canada (national on 8th) will be maintained.

Once again, I don't see eye to eye with popular opinion. They are replacing an interesting, Brutalist podium with an unremarkable but, fussy glass design. It's not much of an improvement. The current structure would look a lot better with new glass and getting rid of the Scotiabank signage if it hasn't come down already.

Once again, I don't see eye to eye with popular opinion. They are replacing an interesting, Brutalist podium with an unremarkable but, fussy glass design. It's not much of an improvement. The current structure would look a lot better with new glass and getting rid of the Scotiabank signage if it hasn't come down already.

I can appreciate your thoughts. For me the big win for this project isn't so much changing the brutalist podium (although I think it will be an improvement) but it is how it will re-activate the streetscape at that location by creating a patio space and restaurant that interacts with Stephen Ave. The dark glazing of the windows of the Scotiabank combined with the black fences to prevent people from sitting on the edges of the building worked to create one of the most hostile environments on Stephen Ave and I'm extremely happy to see it replaced.

Whether people liked the brutalist design or not, one can't argue the benefits of replacing the bank with a restaurant. As @outoftheice mentioned, a resto wouldn't work with the current podium set up, so it had to be renovated one way or another. It's my own personal opinion, but I've never liked that podium even though I tend to like brutalist buildings in general. The glass will be more welcoming to the street level.

Back