Calgary Cancer Centre | 75m | 14s | Province of Alberta | Stantec

Excited to see this project coming to fruition. Calgary has some amazing health care assets and this will take things to the next level. However while under construction I highly recommend avoiding Foothills at all costs, the parking is absolutely brutal right now.

Is there any discussion about a transportation solution for Foothills? My girlfriend works here and she says there is no parking (despite the website saying they haven't reduced the number of stalls). Apparently there was a gondola study years ago that suggested the cost of a 5km line would be in excess of $100 million... so that was scrapped. It seems to me like this would be a good location for a zipcar. Have a fleet of 30 cars that go between the C Train and reserved stalls at the Foothills. The bus route is not great from the C Train now and takes about the same time as walking.

Personally, I'd like to see a spur train line that connects the hospital to the University and/or Foothills C-train station. Or perhaps a more dedicated train/tram loop with stops along Foothills, Childrens, University hotspots.

This area is probably the biggest hub of activity outside of downtown (and is only getting bigger), not having it be connected to the C-train is a shame. Personally, I think it would be much more beneficial to citizens than the Airport connection that is often bandied about.

Parking is probably pretty tight right now. When the new parkade opens then I would think there will be plenty of parking

Is there any discussion about a transportation solution for Foothills? My girlfriend works here and she says there is no parking (despite the website saying they haven't reduced the number of stalls). Apparently there was a gondola study years ago that suggested the cost of a 5km line would be in excess of $100 million... so that was scrapped. It seems to me like this would be a good location for a zipcar. Have a fleet of 30 cars that go between the C Train and reserved stalls at the Foothills. The bus route is not great from the C Train now and takes about the same time as walking.

Personally, I'd like to see a spur train line that connects the hospital to the University and/or Foothills C-train station. Or perhaps a more dedicated train/tram loop with stops along Foothills, Childrens, University hotspots.

This area is probably the biggest hub of activity outside of downtown (and is only getting bigger), not having it be connected to the C-train is a shame. Personally, I think it would be much more beneficial to citizens than the Airport connection that is often bandied about.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...rojects/NW-HUB-Transit-Enhancement-Study.aspx

It is being looked at, just not the main focus for Transit at the moment. The north cross-town BRT will help, however that won't facilitate transit directly into the heart of the Foothills Campus. Hopefully once the BRT lines launch in the fall, Transit will have the time/resources to rekindle the NW Hub review/study.

@MichaelS very interesting..... "NW Hub...forecasted to have the highest concentration of jobs and population outside the Centre City. It’s already the second largest employment area in Calgary"

@DiscoStu Good point. The $175 million price tag for 5 km doesn't seem to bad really. It was ranked really low by the city in terms of points however. Ranked just before the 8th avenue Subway. But after LRT to North Pointe $2.5B, Quarry Park $1.65B, and Seton $1.8B

https://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/2013-0118strategyaheadweb2.pdf

There definitely was talk of a cable gondola car system. I recall the plan was to have it go from the Hospital directly south across the valley, and over to the southwest. I know we've talked about a monorail or tram doing the loop around the hospital, Children's hospital, and University....would a gondola system work for something like that? Assuming the gondola was not too slow, I imagine it would be cheaper. than a tram or monorail.

Parking is probably pretty tight right now. When the new parkade opens then I would think there will be plenty of parking
You would think so but that's not the case. Once lot 1 is complete and staff are moved back from their current offsite stalls, there will still be a wait-list for parking for staff in excess of 1500. Patient's will notice a difference though with an additional few hundreds of spots reserved for patients only.

Hi All,
Thev Topic of Tnspt to F M C has Come Up! TRAIN? Nice to Have but Its Out of the Question - COSTS. There is a Shuttle Bus from Sunnyside Statiom The N W Line was Never Blt With F M C etc in Mind or a Lot of Other Items. Things Like This Happen

Tnx,
Operater.

3rd crane on the way!

May 16 1058.jpg

Attachments

• May 16 1058.jpg
    May 16 1058.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 1,077

Back