News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

I didn't know there was going to be an ALT Hotel in the University district. Very cool. Has there been a rendering for it?
So University District now has on the way...

6 storey Rhapsody (residential/retail)
7 storey August (residential/retail)
15 storey Alt Hotel
4 storey Cambridge Manor (senior residence)
4 storey Noble (residential)
3 storey Ivy (residential)
and the ? storey Maple (active senior residence)

Not a bad start in a fairly short time. Man, it's taking off EV style! :)

I didn't know there was going to be an ALT Hotel in the University district. Very cool. Has there been a rendering for it?

No, hence the ongoing discussion before your response.

Does anyone know what the flame on the tower was lit for last night, was it to celebrate a gold medal?

Yup! They've been doing this for every Olympics since I've lived in Calgary. I think for this year it's 6-7pm for canadian gold medal wins.

And every time they do some people still call 911 reporting that the tower is on fire. No fooling, Sun reporter Brian Passifume runs a scanner and hears the calls almost every time.

I remember them doing it during the Vancouver games, but not the Russia games. I like it, the tower looks badass with the flame! I'm sure the bill is badass too lol.

That reminds me of the time the light bar in the old Mosaic Stadium in Regina had the fireplace channel going over Christmas one year, the fire department got hundreds of panicked calls that the stadium was on fire lol.

Last edited:
Looks like Torode is selling the Penguin Car Wash site now that they've increased its value with approvals. Rendering is just representative of the scale that's approved I imagine.

image1.jpeg

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Great site to develop, surprised they are selling it. Once something does happen, I hope they include a big sound wall to mitigate sound from the train tracks right there. Does anyone know if CPR is still planning to close the crossing on 8st?

One so far. However they have launched the Irvine project which will be located across the street from that one. They also have a site on 11 St in Ramsay.

Yeah only 1 I know of, and it looks awful!

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of how the building looks or interacts with the street. There is a weird step up and there are no trees separating the road and the sidewalk.

Hopefully Torode steps up the design with his other projects.

Total speculation here, but maybe he is playing it crazy stupid safe after going all out with Arriva all those years ago. Definitely room for improvement without breaking the bank I'd think.

Back