News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

New proposal for Macleod Trail
https://www.poplarcentre.com/

poplar-web1.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.004...4!1sjt0_51iAM95v5eyUip2lcA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Attachments

• poplar-web1.jpg
    poplar-web1.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 325
Dull, but an incredibly vast improvement over what's currently on site. I'll take it.

How close is it to that other medical-centre proposal?

red brick...knotty wood...white siding... grey stucco. Another case of a crap designer thinking adding one more cheap cladding style/colours will improve their mediocre design.

red brick...knotty wood...white siding... grey stucco. Another case of a crap designer thinking adding one more cheap cladding style/colours will improve their mediocre design.
I don't mind the stucco and knotty wood. If they kept it to two types of stucco and the knotty wood it'd be okay.

The renderings are promising. It looks to be an improvement on the Riverwalk which left me a little disappointed. I had hoped for a more urban minded design being on the edge of downtown. The area around the Simmons building is a little closer to what I have in mind but, the random placements of the benches don't encourage conversation and they take of a whack space that could be used for other activities. The Riverwalk is a great improvement. It's pretty to walk along or rest for a while but, there's little there to get you to stay.

Totally agree. How the designers of the Riverwalk missed the obvious major connection/gateway from the river pathway into Chinatown is beyond me. Everytime I pass the section just east of the Centre Street bridge I think how great it would be to pop over to Chinatown for some food or baked goods, but the design gives no indication that its something that you should be doing. Riverfront Ave is unnecessarily free-flow, missing crosswalks and is wide enough to discourage any connection that feels effortless. Compare that to the 7th Avenue Cycletrack connection as it transitions from park pathway to urban pathway. It's not fancy, but totally is a natural and understandable transition.

The other thing they missed - a Calgary tradition - is that they assumed that most people want to look at nature and nice shrubs as opposed to use the path. So we ended up with a very large shrubby garden section - pretty, but useless - and a 3m width bike pathway. If the bike pathway was twice that, to allow for side-by-side social riding and casual cruising around (e.g. like the path near Prince's Island) I would gladly sacrifice half of those shrub gardens. There would still be plenty of room for greenery, but the whole park would be so much more usable.

Back