The Cornerstone | 36m | 10s | Peoplefirst

iykyk
maxresdefault (1).jpg

That looks astoundingly bad. It even appears to be vinyl siding as opposed to hardyboard. I don't think I've seen vinyl siding on a highrise before...and I hope I never do again. To add insult to injury, our taxes helped subsidize this abomination.

Those "random rectangles" actually make it look even worse. If they were in a bold color or something, maybe they'd be a slight positive - but they're in the same boring colors as the rest of the building.
Holy shit - they put vinyl siding on this thing??!!! Bahahahaha

Supposed to welcome residents in February apparently. Interesting to learn about $8 million in funding from the City of Calgary went towards this project and the building's assessed value went from $5.5 million to $33 million (with the conversion only 80% complete) and it boosted the property tax paid by $140k per year.

While I support the residential conversion program, it makes me angry that we'd spend taxpayer dollars on a conversion with such abysmal design quality. Perhaps it's time for some minimal design standard for these projects to be eligible?

This program has attracted attention from across North America. I just hope that any follow up stories on the program omit any pictures of this abomination.

That previous design looks 1000x better. Why would we approve the POS that we are getting now? Like to me, "no vinyl siding on highrise buildings, ever" should not be open for debate. And when public funds are being used, doesn't that at least give us a bit of a hammer in mandating not-terrible design?

This would be some sort of cheap metal cladding, vinyl would not be allowed on that building by code.

So are the columns clad in brick, and then being covered up with shitty metal?

This would be some sort of cheap metal cladding, vinyl would not be allowed on that building by code.

So are the columns clad in brick, and then being covered up with shitty metal?
Could be, but if that's the case, it makes it even worse to have metal cladding made to look like vinyl.

Yes, looks to me that the shitty metal/fake vinyl material is covering up the brick columns - for reasons I truly cannot fathom. It just looks so astoundingly bad, like they deliberately set out to make the building look as absolutely disgusting as possible. Materials? Let's go with something that will look like vinyl siding. Colours? Well, beige and greyish beige go really well together! What about that nice brick? Cover it up, the rest of the building looks like ass so we can't have the corners looking OK.

Let's hope for a very localized hail storm to batter the shit out of this siding material to a point where they have to reclad the entire building in something less awful. I'm not super picky when it comes to architecture...I'm even somewhat forgiving of the West Village Towers podium. But with this I draw a line.

Back