Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 4 So So

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 5 Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Terrible

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Interesting. From what I've heard Encana Place is all but completely empty, so they must have gotten a sweet deal. 75k in Encana Place is what 4 floors? That's a lot of employees, much more than a startup.
They were talking about this on the radio a while back, and I iirc, they are starting out with somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen people, but there are plans to increase # of employees. I think they said up to 1,000 employees eventually.

The office space is around 33% leased, but yes quite a ways to go before it could be considered successful.

The thing in favour of Telus Sky is that the office space is only 400K . They may be able to attract tenants who only want a floor or two, but want to be in a shiny brand-new high-profile building.

I don't see a tenant paying the amount to make it worthwhile for Telus Sky Ltd to lease the space.

Interesting. From what I've heard Encana Place is all but completely empty, so they must have gotten a sweet deal. 75k in Encana Place is what 4 floors? That's a lot of employees, much more than a startup.

Rocketspace. The name really says it all. "come to our space and we'll rocket you to a billion dollar market value all for a small piece of your company"

It's a shared work space incubator for tech startups.

From Twitter @everydaytourist
DDcYt-cV0AEV6T8.jpg

Attachments

• DDcYt-cV0AEV6T8.jpg
    DDcYt-cV0AEV6T8.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 357
The market has changed just a little bit since Telus signed onto the project. If my memory serves me, they signed before Cenovus million square feet at Brookfield. Look at Cenovus today.

The market has changed just a little bit since Telus signed onto the project. If my memory serves me, they signed before Cenovus million square feet at Brookfield. Look at Cenovus today.
With the market changed though, wouldn't this also mean lower lease rates?

Maybe, maybe not. When the office space is owned by a REIT there may not be a desire to lower rates, but instead sit and wait things out.
I have heard that 80% of Calgary's downtown office space is owned by 5 REIT/Pension funds, and all of that office space represents only 3% of their total holdings.....so definitely a situation where they can wait things out. How long is anyone's guess.

With the market changed though, wouldn't this also mean lower lease rates?

A new building has a high break even point. Vacancy is approaching 30%. Tenants are looking for deals. It's better to wait and see where the market is in, for example, 3 years than to lock in a money losing contract with a tenant for the next, for example, 10 years.

It's really getting exciting now. I can't wait for them to install 3 or 4 more floors of glass.

Back