News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Calgary Regional Rail Transit

Regional rail in Calgary feels more pro-suburb than pro-transit for me. A train to Cochrane sounds nice until you consider that it's 1/40 the size of our city. It's about the combined size of Taradale and Saddleridge. And unlike those places it has near 100% car ownership, and not everyone works in or has any reason to be in Calgary regularly. A single stop C-train extension in any direction would capture more riders.

A GO Train expansion outside the borders of Toronto, this isn't.

That said, I do think a train to Banff (or maybe Lake Louise) is a good idea, and a train to Edmonton is a good idea, and we might as well have a provision for stopping along the way in places like Canmore and Cochrane (and maybe even Bowness) to the west, and Airdrie and the airport to the north.
I don’t think the train would go to Cochrane itself, it would be a stop on the train on the Banff-Calgary corridor, which has a different purpose than commuter rail.

Airdrie and Okotoks/High River would probably where the Commuter rail would start as a project in Calgary.

I wonder what a main Alberta transit hub in Red Deer would do to the city. Would we see a population boom?
I know the Premier talked about Red Deer becoming the next million plus city, but as a country we are probably 20 years out from even large-ish cities like Winnipeg and Quebec City hitting a million. I'm sure it would help Red Deer solidify its place as the province's 3rd biggest city but I don't really see it going beyond 200,000 in the coming decades, and not sure how much of a boost the rail hub would give. Even a couple decades out, our regional population along that corridor will be perhaps 5 or 6 million which is still small compared to the big rail corridors in Europe, China, Japan, the NE USA and even the corridor between the 3 big eastern Canadian cities.

I wonder what a main Alberta transit hub in Red Deer would do to the city. Would we see a population boom?
It would take a lot of investment - and a long time - for Red Deer to ever become the main - or even a competitively large - transit hub for Alberta. Essentially impossible on any foreseeable future over the next hundred years.

Leaning into the transportation investment theory about growth, improving access from Red Deer to the larger job markets in Calgary and Edmonton would certainly be a boom. If it's true high-speed rail, where each city is accessible in less than an hour from Red Deer even more so.

But Calgary and Edmonton have close to 1 million jobs each today and hundreds of billions of dollars of infrastructure, amenities, services and efficiency as a result of already being big places that grew up over the last 120 years.

That is an insurmountable lead. Any transportation benefit from better access for Red Deer to the cities would also help the cities in reverse, and continue their dominance for the same reasons - greater access for more people to reach jobs and services in the cities. Growth will continue in these cities so the gap to Red Deer will remain.

A bullet train would potentially allow Red Deer to access a new growth vector it currently lacks. Perhaps it would be able to supplant Lethbridge and pull into a clear 3rd place?

Read between the lines... (Puts on tin foil hat): The UCP, like Egypt, Indonesia, and Brazil before them, are going to build a new million-person city around Red Deer thus justifying that Red Deer be the highspeed rail hub.
They need to sell this to not Calgary. Whatever stops someone in Stettler from complaining.

Read between the lines... (Puts on tin foil hat): The UCP, like Egypt, Indonesia, and Brazil before them, are going to build a new million-person city around Red Deer thus justifying that Red Deer be the highspeed rail hub.
It's not impossible, but arbitrarily fighting upstream on centuries of urban economic agglomeration forces pushing the other direction is a tough (and expensive) headwind to overcome.

Building cities from scratch is a classic move from authoritarian governments throughout history, with very limited success, particularly after municipal and national economic systems stopped concentrating nearly wealth and economic activity in a single person (i.e. wherever the King's court was, the economy followed).

If you really wanted to do this today, a better play than trains would be to move to the provincial capital to Red Deer and setup a new, fully funded major public university there at the cost of tens of billions of dollars over decades, with limited chance of success and zero chance of it being an economically efficient outcome.

Massive, government expansion of public institutions wasn't in my UCP playbook :)

They need to sell this to not Calgary. Whatever stops someone in Stettler from complaining.
This seems more likely the play with the rail plan - give something to everyone, even if that's not realistic in practice. Red Deer can be flagged as a "hub" when really it's just a freebee that will benefit from the true hubs being connected (Calgary and Edmonton).

The other motivation of this plan is shorter-term, trying to distract from many controversial policy decisions with something more interesting/positive - trains!

Last edited:
The other motivation of this plan is shorter-term, trying to distract from many controversial policy decisions with something more interesting/positive - trains!
I think they've realized there hasn't been much of the vision thing from this government, and not much interesting in the positive sense to communicate about.

I don't think you can limit that to authoritarian governments. Washington, DC was carved out out of both Maryland and Virginia, and built from scratch.
Yeah, something governments with a world view centred on ideas of ideal communities seem to do. Not only governments though, street car suburbs are this but privately initiated, and widely praised a century hence.

I don't think you can limit that to authoritarian governments. Washington, DC was carved out out of both Maryland and Virginia, and built from scratch.
Yeah, something governments with a world view centred on ideas of ideal communities seem to do. Not only governments though, street car suburbs are this but privately initiated, and widely praised a century hence.

Yep good points, there's been attempts at various scales by all types of governments and private sector to create cities from scratch.

Perhaps that's the better way to put it, governments that have an utopic or interventionist urban policy slant towards them have tried that, which top-down authoritarian governments often have, but not a trait exclusive to them.

There's lots of history here in trying to solve the perceived ills/political failures/chaos that major cities get tagged with by physically and structurally trying to change them or recreate them from scratch (but this time "better"). It's possible - and you can argue any government investment into anything is trying to do this - but when it's at the scale of creating a whole new city, it's often unsuccessful or highly inefficient. Cities are complex and top-down major interventions often mis-diagnose "the problems".

Back to trains:
  • If the goal is to generate economic spin-offs, growth and a more liquid labour and employment market, rapid intercity transit is a solid proposed investment.
  • If the goal is to make Red Deer the economic and political capital of Alberta and a new major city, rapid intercity transit isn't really going to get you there on it's own. That's why this is more of the sales pitch (I think) and less of the actual goal.

The Calgary-Montana link would be good to have also. There is an Amtrak station at Shelby that would make a convenient transfer point to Amtrak's network. Imagine being able to take a train holiday from Calgary (I don't consider the Rocky Mountaineer an option, as it is is just plain unaffordable).

Back