Votes: 29 30.9%
  • So So

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Someone earlier gave the figure of $50,000 per parking stall. Agree 100% with you on this.

Someone earlier gave the figure of $50,000 per parking stall. Agree 100% with you on this.
Thanks, yes that is a pretty commonly cited figure. But I think it also underestimates the schedule risk associated with extra parking being provided on behalf of the developer. Going from two floors of underground to 3 floors adds weeks of time and cost to project. I would imagine that it would make it more difficult to time your project for market conditions (i.e. you have to estimate demand for your product 3-4 years out if you have significant underground parking, while only a year or two if you start at grade etc.)

Thanks, yes that is a pretty commonly cited figure. But I think it also underestimates the schedule risk associated with extra parking being provided on behalf of the developer. Going from two floors of underground to 3 floors adds weeks of time and cost to project. I would imagine that it would make it more difficult to time your project for market conditions (i.e. you have to estimate demand for your product 3-4 years out if you have significant underground parking, while only a year or two if you start at grade etc.)

I think had quoted that number here on SRC earlier, but it's only a number that I've heard. Like you say, there are some other factors. The Royal for example had some issues during early stages and it took a long time to get the entire pit excavated. One or two levels down and it shaves off 8 months to a year. That has to equate to some sort of dollar amount.

Crazy to see another entire vacant city block under redevelopment in this economy. I'm absolutely loving the categorical shift in urbanity that Calgary is currently going through.

I wonder if the REIT that owns The Bow would ever sell the south block to a hotel chain. That lot is the perfect spot for a Ritz Carlton or Shangri La, being right next to the convention centre, right along rapid transit, and next to Stephen Avenue and the cultural district.

Anything but that stupid park that's there now. Even a storey retail plaza looks good. As far as hotels go, that is a great spot for one.

Yeah, that corner of Centre and 6th is maybe the biggest problem plaguing the downtown right now. Lord knows the whole York Hotel thing must be well past dead by now, but I haven't caught a whiff of what might go there instead. I recall, and this is quite a few years ago now too, that the'd revised the Bow's companion tower upwards. It's been ages since then.

My best, and categorically uninformed, guess is that given that the Bow, Suncor and soon enough Telus Sky are all in the immediate vacinity the owners of the lot would like to do something equally flashy. That's probably a decade away at best sadly.

Reactions: AJX
I know a retail plaza might seem like a lost opportunity, but I would fully support that type of development. Given the LRT station there, and the big towers nearby, it would be super busy, and tie everything together. I was holding out hope for the York/cultural space but I don't think it'll happen.

Best bet, is the York facade rebuilt and worked into a 6 storey mixed use residential retail building. Two floors of retail fronting onto Centre Street and 4 or 5 floors of residential/hotel space on top.

I'd be fine with that, but why not make it a fabulous mixed use building? 2 floors of retail, a large cinema space (similar to downtown Vancouver's Scotiabank Theatre), with a large residential or hotel portion on top. You could easily get to 200 meters with that sort of set up.

I'd be fine with that, but why not make it a fabulous mixed use building? 2 floors of retail, a large cinema space (similar to downtown Vancouver's Scotiabank Theatre), with a large residential or hotel portion on top. You could easily get to 200 meters with that sort of set up.
I love everything about your idea except the height. I would like to see something more low rise on that location. I would be totally happy with everything you mentioned, but at say 15 floors or so. i'm kind of a low-mid rise kind of guy ;) A theater would kick ass.

It would be nice if they could expand the site to include the legion, give the legion a brand new, expanded space in the new building, and have a larger footprint for the building so there could actually fit a cinema and stuff. A 15 storey building would be great, as long as the hotel/residential is in a dense format. This is the building that houses the Vancouver Scotiabank Theatre, the tower itself is named Electric Avenue, and it has nearly 500 units.

1363318689-1.pjpeg

http://www.myvancouvercanada-reales...ectric Avenue-938 Smithe Street 933 Hornby St

Back