News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Wish List for 2020 - Top 5 items.

Atticus

Member Bio
Reaction score
Found this old thread from a couple of years ago. Some wishes have come true some not. Good to see that most have come to fruition. We should do a 2020 wish list.

1) revival of hon’s Chinatown project as per renderings
2)Barron building finishes and is great
3)York Hotel reenvisions itself as mid rise residential
4) someone comes in with an interesting historical revival mid rise project on Stephen Ave
5) all 24 Ave nw low rise projects get built, same time

If it's a semi-realistic wish list it would be:

1) Barron Building conversion gets completed
2) Development of something on Block K and the rest of block Q in East Village
3) York Hotel plan
4) Plaza 54 construction start
5) Green Line finalized and construction start

If it's not as realistic and can be anything. Plans unveiled for new West Village re-dev with canals built into it.

Mine might not be as realistic but here it goes in no specific order.

1)Brentwood Commons, with original height gets started.
2)Plaza 54 gets started.
3)Green Line all the way from North to South being confirmed and shovels in the ground.
4)5th & McLeod by Great Gulf gets started.
5) Some high rises in the Currie Barracks site start getting built.

If I could have a sixth it would be the Hat at Elbow River with a redesigned podium. I like the height and density there.

Last edited:
If it's a semi-realistic wish list it would be:

1) Barron Building conversion gets completed
2) Development of something on Block K and the rest of block Q in East Village
3) York Hotel plan
4) Plaza 54 construction start
5) Green Line finalized and construction start

If it's not as realistic and can be anything. Plans unveiled for new West Village re-dev with canals built into it.
I would really love to see the York Hotel rebuilt, or redeveloped with the old York Hotel facade, also the Barron building finished.

1. The Green Line has its routes finalized
  2. New developments announced for the East Village
  3. The Hat Elbow River has new designs which are approved by council
  4. Stampede Hotel partners announced
  5. 101 11 ave SE starts construction

Being as realistic as possible...

1) Green Line team gets their shit together, federal government offers an extra billion to push it through with a sensible alignment (the tunnel from 16th N to 4 Street SE) with phase 1 extended to 40 Avenue N
2) Announcement for funding of Arts Commons revitalization, Contemporary Calgary completion, and the Glenbow Museum revitalization
3) Both phases of the Residences on Tenth (formerly Place 10) begin construction
4) Announcement of a new expansion to Bow Valley College, including the proposal of two student residence towers
5) Arena and Convention Centre final designs are released and are awesome

Last edited:
Being as realistic as possible...

1) Green Line team gets their shit together, federal government offers an extra billion to push it through with a sensible alignment (the tunnel from 16th N to 4 Street SE) with phase 1 extended to 40 Avenue N
Very unlikely. The funding as it is is already a stretch.
2) Announcement for funding of Arts Commons revitalization, Contemporary Calgary completion, and the Glenbow Museum revitalization
Arts Commons' isn't baked enough yet to announce imo.
3) Both phases of the Residences on Tenth (formerly Place 10) begin construction
The most likely.
4) Announcement of a new expansion to Bow Valley College, including the proposal of two student residence towers
BVC could finance an expansion itself with its earnings from international students, which it has been accumulating as reserves. BVC is only near capacity due to international students. I doubt they would take a risk like that though.
5) Arena and Convention Centre final designs are released and are awesome
I hope so too!

Arts Commons' isn't baked enough yet to announce imo.

Arts Commons revitalization has been around farrrrr longer than the other two. Since before I moved here. How is it not baked enough yet to announce? Neither of the other projects were either in their conception stage when the Arts Commons revitalization was first proposed :p They've already made the funding request to the province, while the Feds and City have already committed a combined $215 million to it, the province just needs to pony up another $25 million to reach the funding target.

I think this could be a good move for the Liberal gov't in Alberta. Shows a big investment in the province from the feds who are "alienating" Alberta, while still furthering a part of their agenda here. Hell, maybe part of that money could be used to build or expand a wind/solar farm to power the new line? Then it's even an energy industry investment.

Half the population of delusional conservatives in this province would probably trip over their own feet reading that news. The dream.

Back