News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

What is your favourite low or mid-rise building in Calgary?

What is your favourite low or mid-rise building in Calgary?

• The Old CBE Building (1969)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Centrium Place (2007)

• International House at the U of C (2009)

• City of Calgary Water Centre (2008)

• Studio Bell (completion in 2016)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • New Central Library (completion in 2018)

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Le Germaine Calgary (2010)

• Mewata Armoury (1918)

• Heritage Hall SAIT (1922)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • AGT Building (1929)

• Elveden Centre (1959)

• Calgary Olympic Oval (1987)

• Other

• Total voters

Oddball

Member Bio
Reaction score
This may seem a little derivative of the highrise thread, and it is, but simply by the nature of low or mid-rises against high-rises there is can be so much more diversity. There is a much wider range of ages, styles and uses among these buildings. I picked several of my favourites for the list, but I fully expect Other to win this one just because there are so many options. I know I can't possibly have gotten them all.

As I compiled my list I realized that it was going to be really difficult to pick a favourite from among them. I ultimately went with Heritage Hall. It's one of the few gothic buildings in the city and they way the incorporated the exterior of the building into the interior of the expansion is really cool.

Wow, lots of great choices there, so hard to choose one! I went with Studio Bell. The library might be my favorite when all is said and done.

BTW, great idea for a thread.

I choose the new library too. I love Studio Bell, in particular the tile used for finishing, but I love the library's massing.

Great idea for a thread. Very tough choice. I think my favourite building in Calgary is the old Carnegie Library and surrounding park.

Runner ups include the beautiful NCL and NMC. Agreed with Surreal regarding NMC'so tiles. Is there another building in the world with a similar finish?

Some other favourites include the old train station/Alberta Ballet and the Chinese Cultural Centre.

Great idea for a thread. Very tough choice. I think my favourite building in Calgary is the old Carnegie Library and surrounding park.

Runner ups include the beautiful NCL and NMC. Agreed with Surreal regarding NMC'so tiles. Is there another building in the world with a similar finish?
I voted for the new library, but the old one is pretty damned good too. On the commercial side I love the way Maxwell Bates block turned out.

Old buildings like the library and Mewata armoury would be up there for sure. Newer buildings, it's the library all the way. Overall a tough choice between old and new, but I 'm going with the library. The older buildings are cool, but there are plenty of buildings like those in other cities. The library will be one of a kind.

Back