4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Saw this in a budget summary on CBC:

Taxing vacant land?
As part of its push on housing, the federal government also says it's looking at vacant land that could be used to build homes.

It's not yet committing to new measures but the budget says the government will consider introducing a new tax on residentially zoned vacant land.

The government said it plans to launch consultations on the measure later this year.

Wonder if this would include parking lots? Which i guess technically are not vacant.

Some other summary points.
  • Converting underused federal offices into homes. The budget promises $1.1 billion over ten years to transform 50 per cent of the federal office portfolio into housing.
Harry Hays? Not like there isn't vacant office space in the city that the feds could relocate to. The old CBE building does look like a federal building haha.
  • Building homes on Canada Post properties. The government says the 1,700-plus Canada Post offices across the country can be used to build new homes while maintaining postal services. The federal government says it's assessing six Canada Post properties in Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia for development potential "as a start."
I can't think of any post offices in Calgary but I do not know every post office in Calgary.
  • Rethinking National Defence properties. The government is promising to look at redeveloping properties and buildings on National Defence lands for military and civilian use.
There has been some conversation on Currie, maybe the reserve unit could move? It is a bit awkward to have a reserve unit in the middle of communities. I even think about the reserve navy unit off Crowchild and 17th... I think they could really take those two parcels and do pretty well by converting them
I'd love to see Harry Hays bulldozed and redeveloped into housing. I absolutely hate that disgusting abomination of a building. Let the Feds purchase, renovate and move into a smaller underutilized office building somewhere in the core. Ideally as part of redevelopment the site should be reintegrated into Chinatown, of which it was a part before Hays was built.

I'd love to see Harry Hays bulldozed and redeveloped into housing. I absolutely hate that disgusting abomination of a building. Let the Feds purchase, renovate and move into a smaller underutilized office building somewhere in the core. Ideally as part of redevelopment the site should be reintegrated into Chinatown, of which it was a part before Hays was built.
It was sold a long time ago: https://www.canada.ca/en/news/archi...ice-buildings-better-use-taxpayers-money.html

Taxing vacant land?
As part of its push on housing, the federal government also says it's looking at vacant land that could be used to build homes.

It's not yet committing to new measures but the budget says the government will consider introducing a new tax on residentially zoned vacant land.

The government said it plans to launch consultations on the measure later this year.

Wonder if this would include parking lots? Which i guess technically are not vacant.

• Converting underused federal offices into homes. The budget promises $1.1 billion over ten years to transform 50 per cent of the federal office portfolio into housing.
Harry Hays? Not like there isn't vacant office space in the city that the feds could relocate to. The old CBE building does look like a federal building haha.
  • Building homes on Canada Post properties. The government says the 1,700-plus Canada Post offices across the country can be used to build new homes while maintaining postal services. The federal government says it's assessing six Canada Post properties in Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia for development potential "as a start."
I can't think of any post offices in Calgary but I do not know every post office in Calgary.
  • Rethinking National Defence properties. The government is promising to look at redeveloping properties and buildings on National Defence lands for military and civilian use.
There has been some conversation on Currie, maybe the reserve unit could move? It is a bit awkward to have a reserve unit in the middle of communities. I even think about the reserve navy unit off Crowchild and 17th... I think they could really take those two parcels and do pretty well by converting them
This Canada Post building, which is surrounded by the now approved Midtown outline plan, seems like a pretty good candidate:

Taxing vacant land?

Best to take the tax part as a signal, if they had a good idea in this area they would have announced consulting on a hint of an idea.

Interesting article about Hines and how bullish they are on Canada:

From the article:
"And the total quantity of supply in Calgary is the lowest per capita in Canada. We’ve only got three units per 100 people . . . It’s about half of what similar cities would have in terms of inventory. . . . We are looking to do more multifamily product in Calgary.”

I wonder if Hines is interested in picking up the Westbrook site.
It’s mind blowing how many proposals are out there and how many developers are bullish on Calgary, but so little (high rise) downtown/Beltline is starting up. Hope this spring/summer our next boom starts

It’s mind blowing how many proposals are out there and how many developers are bullish on Calgary, but so little (high rise) downtown/Beltline is starting up. Hope this spring/summer our next boom starts
I'm expecting we see a lot of projects move forward this summer, between existing proposals and new proposals. Especially with new GST exemptions and low-interest loans for rental buildings from the government.

Back