1116 - 7th Ave SW | ?m | 12s | Cidex Group | NORR

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A development permit was submitted last year for a 66 unit, 12 storey apartment tower at downtown Calgary's west end.

Currently the proposal has opposition from neighbouring residential towers
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...es-on-new-west-downtown-development-1.3394828

1116-7th ave.jpg

Attachments

• 1116-7th ave.jpg
    1116-7th ave.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 33,440
Last edited:
Pretty forgettable for sure, but I like the scale of it. I would prefer a street with a row of three or four individual buildings of this size, to a large development like Keynote.

The mural gives the residents in the building next door something to look at when they lose their view ;)

All in all a pretty non-descript building, but better than what's there now. That parcel of land so badly needs a nice mixed use building to go up.

I would be very surprise, if this one gets built. I think it's only going to planning commission and council, because the wheels were already in motion from a couple years ago, I would bet that this will just sit on the back burner and by the time it comes to getting built there will be a completely new owner and a new design

I don't know if this was mentioned, but this is a no-parking condo. Likely the only way that parcel makes sense to develop. Perfect spot for it. The more non-parking units in this city, the better.

I would be very surprise, if this one gets built. I think it's only going to planning commission and council, because the wheels were already in motion from a couple years ago, I would bet that this will just sit on the back burner and by the time it comes to getting built there will be a completely new owner and a new design

It has already been through the approval process, and is at pending release status as per developmentmap.calgary.ca
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2014-6029

My understanding is the Cidex intends to do this project at the same time as the Stampede Pontiac site, or "Hat @ West Village" as they call it:
http://www.cidexgroup.com/hat-west-village

The idea being, if all of their crews and construction offices are located just a block away, this will be a neat little project that is a great fit for the location that can easily be put up with the same project offices as Hat @ West Village.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but this is a no-parking condo. Likely the only way that parcel makes sense to develop. Perfect spot for it. The more non-parking units in this city, the better.

This is the perfect spot for a non-parking condo: car access is tricky there, and transit/pedestrian/cycling access is phenomenal/great/pretty good. Less digging should also mean lower prices and faster construction.

When you say "the more no-parking units in this city, the better", I agree, and I might add to that with "the more flexible, the more affordable, and the more reasonable our zoning is, the better our city can provide economic and social prosperity to its citizens." No-parking condos are a great solution for sites like this: stagnant land close to rapid transit, ESPECIALLY when car access is challenging or puts unwanted pressure on existing laneways. No-parking condos are also a great solution for areas especially at risk of flooding. On the whole, I personally believe the market should be allowed to provide parking-less units anywhere people will buy them.

I'd be curious to know the difference in construction costs with and without parking.

I'm also hoping this spurs interest in developing the neighbouring lot.

While I agree with most of what you said, I do have to argue the point about car access to this site being bad. I recently moved into the downtown west end, and typically find the car access excellent. 11th and 10th street provide easy, direct access to 9th, 6th, and 5th Ave for this area, and you can very quickly hop out on 6th Ave to get to Bow Trail or Crowchild. Much better car access here than most parts of downtown in my opinion.

I'd be curious to know the difference in construction costs with and without parking.
The number I've seen mentioned is 50K per stall, but that might depend on the scale of the project. If it's a smaller project and only going down one level, maybe it's more than 50K per. Either way though a small project with 30 stalls is still $4.5 Million.....definitely a few bucks.

While I agree with most of what you said, I do have to argue the point about car access to this site being bad. I recently moved into the downtown west end, and typically find the car access excellent. 11th and 10th street provide easy, direct access to 9th, 6th, and 5th Ave for this area, and you can very quickly hop out on 6th Ave to get to Bow Trail or Crowchild. Much better car access here than most parts of downtown in my opinion.

That's fair. I suppose what I meant is that this site is only accessible via an alleyway that a thousand other people must share. Also, to get from the alley to the road cars conflict with busy pedestrian right-of-ways. To me, that makes it an especially good candidate for no parkade.

Last edited:
That's fair. I suppose what I meant is that this site is only accessible via an alleyway that a thousand other people must share. To me, that makes it an especially good candidate for no parkade.

Same thing here. Whether the access is currently good or not, the city needs more no-parkade residential projects, and parcels along the LRT are perfect for it. A marriage made in heaven.

Back