Blume | 48m | 15s | Remington | Systemic Architecture

Just moving the renderings here, courtesy of Surrealplaces:
A few first glimpses of the proposal for Dalhousie (Birchwood Dalhousie) courtesy of @bigtimeYYC on Twitter. Reminds me of University City.

a5z4mEZj.jpg

Attachments

• a5z4mEZj.jpg
    a5z4mEZj.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 1,227
Last edited by a moderator:
This seems like a recipe to me for making it needlessly hard to get to the ctrain. I wish one side it was raised to the level of the c-train station, kind of like how London at Heritage has one side with a "ground" 4 stories higher than the other.
I'm not sure I understand the design makes it hard to get to the C-Train. This is going in at that empty lot east of Dalhousie Station, the elevations shouldn't make any difference no?

I had heard University City recently described as a quasi-residence hall. I wonder with this project, Brio, West Campus and the Hub over in Motel village, whether they'll have gone past the University's capacity to supply potential residents we'll see a more diverse community take root in the Brentwood/Varsity/University Heights area? My biggest fear for the West Campus is just that it ends up as a sort of student ghetto and no go zone for anyone over the age of 23.

Solid looking development though.

I had heard University City recently described as a quasi-residence hall. I wonder with this project, Brio, West Campus and the Hub over in Motel village, whether they'll have gone past the University's capacity to supply potential residents we'll see a more diverse community take root in the Brentwood/Varsity/University Heights area? My biggest fear for the West Campus is just that it ends up as a sort of student ghetto and no go zone for anyone over the age of 23.

Solid looking development though.
I've heard representatives from WCDT (developers of University District) say specifically they are trying to avoid that crowd. More looking at the professional crowd at the two hospitals, plus just the fact it is a "new" community so close to downtown. They don't want the student getto feel either.

I've heard representatives from WCDT (developers of University District) say specifically they are trying to avoid that crowd. More looking at the professional crowd at the two hospitals, plus just the fact it is a "new" community so close to downtown. They don't want the student getto feel either.
That's very wise of them. Nothing against students, but there's a reason people add the word 'ghetto'

Student ghettos are incredibly vibrant neighborhoods. I would love for Calgary to develop one. Students stay out late. They frequent businesses. They have active social lives. They are great for neighborhoods. It's unfortunate that U of C is surrounded by an urban form that is totally hostile to the development of a student ghetto.

Student ghettos are incredibly vibrant neighborhoods. I would love for Calgary to develop one. Students stay out late. They frequent businesses. They have active social lives. They are great for neighborhoods. It's unfortunate that U of C is surrounded by an urban form that is totally hostile to the development of a student ghetto.
Agreed. We as a city are incredibly hostile to student and young adult culture, built-form playing a leading role. I hope we develop a university ghetto, it's a giant gap in Calgary's "big metropolitan city" sales pitch. University and student culture is a key supply of the arts, nightlife and indie scene; all things that Calgary is often criticised by outsiders for being lacking. A big city has to be for everyone to be a good place, students included.

Relatedly: 20-24 is the only working aged demographic segment Calgary has long under-performed (on a per-capita basis) every other major cities, despite all our wealth and booms (which boosted all other working age categories).

Hopefully the inner-northwest continues the evolution with projects like this. More affordable, transit-adjacency/oriented and near post-secondary housing is something we could always use more of.

Last edited:

Back