News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Statscan 2017 numbers

Cowtown

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a2...&stByVal=1&p1=1&p2=31&tabMode=dataTable&csid=

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/180213/dq180213a-eng.htm?HPA=1

Total population growth by metro area, 2016-2017

Toronto: 122,090
Montreal: 48,515
Vancouver: 28,984
Ottawa: 25,977
Calgary: 25,914
Edmonton: 25,157
Winnipeg: 14,784

Interprovincial migratory increase by metro area:

Toronto: 13,450
Ottawa: 5,858
Vancouver: 4,727
Victoria: 2,687
Kelowna: 2,019

Intraprovincial migratory increase by metro area:

Edmonton: 5,721
Oshawa: 4,724
St. Catharines-Niagara: 3,474
Saskatoon: 2,739
Ottawa: 2,457

International migratory increase by metro area:

Toronto: 113,074
Montreal: 52,158
Vancouver: 31,541
Winnipeg: 16,721
Calgary: 16,525

Last edited by a moderator:
We got beat by Winnipeg? That is pretty astounding! And actually pretty awesome. I looove seeing how well ol' Winnipkoo is doing these days! This must be the first time Ottawa has grown faster than us since 2010, and before that, probably only the second time since the mid eighties! 26,000 in one year though? F*ck yeah!

Oh Cowtown, you know just how to make my night. All the stats. *drool*

Last edited:
Calgary has now surpassed Edmonton by 77 000, and Ottawa by 112 000. While Winnipeg has surpassed Quebec City by 14 000, and Hamilton now by 39 000. Saskatoon and Kitchener both displayed impressive growth as well, both with over 9000 added to their respective metropolitan areas. Won't be long until Saskatoon overtakes Windsor.

Good solid numbers for Calgary considering the economy, all the talk of doom and gloom, and all the layoffs. Calgary's strengths are international immigration and natural increase. Interesting that Winnipeg actually grew by less people than the immigration count....I wonder how many people have immigrated to Winnipeg and then moved to another city? Or is it native Winnipeggers moving away? Either way, good to see the Peg with solid growth. Also interesting that Calgary's growth was only slightly less than Vancouver's....Vancouver's job numbers have looked much better than Calgary's. It goes to show that population growth can be determined by many things.

Last edited:
It's nice to see Saskatoon leading the way on a percentage basis. My brother lives out there and has been down on the economy the last few years. That sort of growth has to indicate some sort of vote of confidence. Their job growth has been stagnant alongside it though unfortunately.

If we can count on previous trends to hold, this should be the last time we see 1.4M population for Calgary. Next census we'll be officially above 1.5M by Statscan's definitions! Statscan excludes Okotoks and High River from the Calgary CMA so our real metro presence is actually already a bit higher. Statscan has the whole of Alberta CD 6 at 1,597,710. That's almost 150K higher than Edmonton's CD 11 at 1,451,849. Table 051-0062

I wonder when they're going to start using the 2016 census boundaries for the population estimates. When they do, we should start seeing Lethbridge's numbers included among the CMAs. :) Here's the CDs with the other major population centres in Alberta.

Alberta CD 1 (Medicine Hat): 84,532 (grew by 50)
Alberta CD 2 (Lethbridge): 176,735 (grew by 1,843)
Alberta CD 8 (Red Deer): 216,815 (grew by 1,394)
Alberta CD 16 (Fort Mac): 72,155 (shrunk by 2,989)
Alberta CD 19 (Grande Prairie): 123,761 (shrunk by 539)

Alberta as a whole: 4,286,134 (grew by 49,758)

Not great news for the Northern CDs unfortunately. They're probably really getting burned by the oil price shock. Hopefully some price stability can help them turn the corner. I also read an article in the Herald a couple weeks about growing interest in Canadian shale oil plays following on the heels of the huge successes in the US. They're mostly along the foothills of the Rockies in Northern Alberta and BC. Grande Prairie is especially well positioned to be a big part of that if exploration really does push forward.

The statcan site says the CANISM table ID you posted there is invalid. I'd love to see it though!

The statcan site says the CANISM table ID you posted there is invalid. I'd love to see it though!

Yeah. I've been having trouble linking CANSIM tables for some reason.

You can find it yourself by going to the CANSIM website and selecting Population and demography -> Population Estimates and Projections -> 051-0062 (it's the 11th table down on the first page)

Last edited:
Thank you, I found it, but it only shows Newfoundland. I'll figure this out...

Crazy that our (extended/actual [whatever you wanna call it]) CMA is nearly 150 000 larger than Edmonton's, but still significantly smaller in geographic area. While it's very hard to determine the geographic size and population of Ottawa's combined (I think there are at least three) CDs, their CDs do conform pretty accurately to the commuter shed, so we're approx 220 000 larger in population in our region.

Interesting... I noticed Edmonton grew by 5K from intra-provincial migration. I wonder how much of that was from those two northern CDs?

Alberta CD 1 (Medicine Hat): 84,532 (grew by 50)
Alberta CD 2 (Lethbridge): 176,735 (grew by 1,843)
Alberta CD 8 (Red Deer): 216,815 (grew by 1,394)
Alberta CD 16 (Fort Mac): 72,155 (shrunk by 2,989)
Alberta CD 19 (Grande Prairie): 123,761 (shrunk by 539)

We got beat by Winnipeg? That is pretty astounding! And actually pretty awesome. I looove seeing how well ol' Winnipkoo is doing these days! This must be the first time Ottawa has grown faster than us since 2010, and before that, probably only the second time since the mid eighties! 26,000 in one year though? F*ck yeah!

Oh Cowtown, you know just how to make my night. All the stats. *drool*

Interesting numbers this year. Calgary unofficially grew faster than Ottawa, as our good friends in Foothills MD who aren't yet counted in the census would have grown by a couple of thousand ;)

What I find interesting is that Winnipeg grew by less than the amount they grew in international immigration. There must be a fair number of immigrants arriving there and then leaving?

Interesting numbers this year. Calgary unofficially grew faster than Ottawa, as our good friends in Foothills MD who aren't yet counted in the census would have grown by a couple of thousand ;)

What I find interesting is that Winnipeg grew by less than the amount they grew in international immigration. There must be a fair number of immigrants arriving there and then leaving?

Calgary's CMA would be substantially larger than Edmonton's if we had part of Foothills MD, does that sound right?

Back