News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Ridesharing in Calgary

bennessb

editor at large
Member Bio
Reaction score
Private-for-hire vehicles to operate in Calgary

You’ve asked for it and we’re delivering. Council today approved bylaw amendments to allow Transportation Network Companies (TNCs), such as Uber and Lyft, to operate in Calgary. With an amended bylaw now in place, the only outstanding item is the Province’s approval regarding insurance policies that cover TNC drivers.

In collaboration with citizens, the taxi and limousine industries and TNCs, we have moved quickly to develop and approve these bylaw changes.

Going forward, TNC drivers can operate in Calgary if they have:

• An annual operating licence from The City of Calgary;
  • Valid Class 4 driver’s licence;
  • Annual Calgary Police Service (CPS) criminal background check;
  • Proof of valid commercial insurance as required by the Government of Alberta ;
  • Proof of eligibility to work in Canada; and
  • Proof of provincially-approved 134-point mechanical inspection conducted annually, or 50,000 km, whichever comes first.

These changes create the foundation for a robust transportation network. Our mandate is to support innovation while accounting for safety and reliability, with a customer focus. We know our fellow Calgarians welcome this new and safe option to our city and we are excited to go on this ride together. - See more at: http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2016...icles-to-operate-in.html#sthash.EZ42zKNY.dpuf

And this:
sc5NX7g.png

I'm disappointed that it didn't work out with Uber, I've used ridesharing in other cities and it's great.
I've used Lyft, and was very happy to use it. My fare from the airport in was about 60% of the usual fare.

I used Uber Black in Chicago, and was impressed. The driver was great, and he had cold bottles of water in the back, he even had an ipad with games for my son to play with. Best of all it was cheaper. I will definitely try out that service again next time I'm in Chicago.

I haven't researched the whole ride share issues with Calgary, to have an argument one way or another, but I would probably use it if it was in Calgary.

Back