Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 88 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Thanks for letting me know. I’ve never had a problem with the Saddledome, I just know it’s antiquated now so like I get the criticisms, but clearly newer doesn’t always mean better.

I wonder if this means the Rosetti “Inverted Bowl” concept is out of question now. That would’ve been a pretty unique design come to life.

It’s certainly not happening.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Rosetti Bowl design has ever been tried before. It definitely looked cool but there's certain aspects of it that definitely could be problematic. Upper-level seats might be watching the whole game from between their legs because they're at such a steep angle from the ice. It's also freaking HIGH. Some people get nauseous standing in the press level at the 'Dome now. Can you imagine how much worse that'd be with the Rosetti design, where it's not sloped ... it's INVERTED? At one of the games I went to, some drunk guy passed out and faceplanted into the seat right beside me. Imagine if he had a front seat in the upper level of a Rosetti bowl. He wouldn't have just flopped down a couple rows. He could've fallen to his death.

I'm not crazy about Little Caesar's exterior. It's okay, not spectacular. It's the concourse and interior that I LOVE. Hopefully HOK learned from their mistakes at Rogers Place and can incorporate the best aspects of each of their previous arenas into ours.

Anyone have a guess as to when the actual design will be released to the public? This project has me excited.

If they could steal the interior and public realm of Little Ceasar's arena, but have a more modern exterior like the new BMO/Library, this could be a real winner! Remember, even though Little Ceasar's and Rogers are not perfect, this firm has also done Mercedes benz stadium in Atlanta which is fantastic! Like any company, you learn from your mistakes. I have no doubt they will take the best aspects of their previous arenas and will will modify the things that were not so great. This is why you never want to build first, always better to have something to follow and improve on than be the first to try something (probably why Rosetti was not picked).

Imagine how successful this area can be if they nail the arena along with the new BMO. The improved street scape, 17th ave extension, redone Victoria Park C-Train station, new hotel, new retail strip. This could be a huge winner! Plus it is extremely close to the East Village and all the new amenities there. Stoked to see the final design, hopefully around Christmas is what i remember hearing at one point.

Would building the arena entirely above ground save in building costs? It would also help in making it flood resistant.

I’d say you’re right on both counts, however, that would go against the city’s and CMLC’s vision of it being a pedestrian-scaled arena (would be a much taller megalithic block face). Basically the difference between arenas like MTS Centre and T-Mobile arena vs the Federation Starship Enterprise (Rogers Place) and the Pepsi Centre. So I imagine their design will be partially underground.

Imagine how successful this area can be if they nail the arena along with the new BMO. The improved street scape, 17th ave extension, redone Victoria Park C-Train station, new hotel, new retail strip. This could be a huge winner! Plus it is extremely close to the East Village and all the new amenities there. Stoked to see the final design, hopefully around Christmas is what i remember hearing at one point.

Don’t forget 4 Street SE Subway Station on the Green Line, the proposed 5 Street SE underpass into the EV, and the proximity to the Central Library and National Music Centre. Having all of these cultural/entertainment institutions clustered is going to go a long way towards creating a vibrant east downtown area.m

Now that things are being finalized, I look forward to seeing the first new proposals in the area. I wonder if Lamb Dev will reboot their Orchard proposal.

Last edited:
I have never posted on this forum but there is an RFP out for the signage portion of the Calgary Event Centre on APC laying out each room proposed to be in the new arena. Pretty cool read if you have an account

Since detailed design is underway on this one and shovels will be in the ground soon, perhaps a moderator can move this thread from the 'General Discussions' forum to the 'Buildings' forum so it gains a bit more exposure and hopefully prompts greater conversation as construction begins?

Since detailed design is underway on this one and shovels will be in the ground soon, perhaps a moderator can move this thread from the 'General Discussions' forum to the 'Buildings' forum so it gains a bit more exposure and hopefully prompts greater conversation as construction begins?
Maybe move this thread into the buildings forum under the name 'Calgary Event Centre' and create a new 'Entertainment district' thread under general discussions

Have a noob type question. Is the new event centre the new arena, or is it the new BMO centre, or both?

Thx.

I've heard a couple rumours on this one from a reliable source so I figured I would share. First off, as you probably know the design reveal had been pushed back due to Covid, but from what i've heard the 2 sides of the development centre, CSES and the CMLC are at odds again. Apparently one side of the equation wants to incorporate 'social distancing measures' into the permanent and final design of the structure. It's unclear which side but if I had to guess it's the CMLC. I'm not exactly sure to what social distancing measures they want to incorporate but obviously it's not the brightest idea since Covid is not permanent.

Second off, apparently the exterior design is going to be very similar to the new BMO centre expansion, same looking gold/copper exterior cladding, similar to the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. This isn't necessarily a shock since the 2 buildings are supposed to work hand in hand with each other. I have no word on the Interior design yet.

Thirdly, for all you Saddledome lovers out there, apparently the city and CSEC are looking for ways to incorporate the Saddledome into the future of the Rivers District rather than tearing it down. They believe the building has some historical significance to the city and they'd like to keep it around for hosting events, although i'm not sure what events because the building is essentially useless for anything other than sports. I doubt they find a feasible way to keep the building intact since the upkeep for the Saddledome costs a fortune. I honestly can't see it not being torn down.

Fourth off, the arena is likely to feature an exterior office building for staff members, Likely to be around 6 stories or so in height, rather then having the offices inside of the Event Centre similarly to what the Saddledome has now. However that is all I've heard in regards to this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back