Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 88 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I used to live in DC and I was always pleasantly surprised how well integrated Capital One Arena is with the street. I love how the design included street facing retail bays and made attempts to match the streetscape around it. That to me is the biggest failure of Rogers Place-- it's a big arena occupying a downtown block with little to offer anyone who isn't inside the building.

This:

compared to:

I'm sure everyone's heard about this already, but here's a link to an article on yesterday's announcement. Good news I guess, but not sure where the money's coming from.

I'm sure everyone's heard about this already, but here's a link to an article on yesterday's announcement. Good news I guess, but not sure where the money's coming from.

Well, if you fund the convention centre and arena with a CRL/Flames contribution/Ticket 'tax', then you go grants from other levels of government for Arts Commons and Field House. It does leave the city in a debt room crunch next decade, as we are waiting for long term revenue to pay for Green Line, convention centre, arena, other CRL funded projects, and for financing Arts Commons and the Field House who may have different grant profiles versus when they need to spend money.

BMO expansion is now a go with shovels in ground this spring after Fed commits money toward the project!
Feds commit $166 million to BMO expansion
Gonna be the second largest in the country! How big is the one in Toronto?

The Metro Toronto Convention Centre claims to have over 2 million sqft of space. Wikipedia puts that number at 700,000. The Palais des Congres in Montreal is about 500,000. Sounds like Calgary's will be somewhere in the 1 million range.

It's too bad this couldn't be part of some larger mega project that would involve burying the LRT line between 12 and 25 AVE SE. It would be great to have an underground LRT station fully integrated into the convention centre.

The Metro Toronto Convention Centre claims to have over 2 million sqft of space. Wikipedia puts that number at 700,000. The Palais des Congres in Montreal is about 500,000. Sounds like Calgary's will be somewhere in the 1 million range.

It's too bad this couldn't be part of some larger mega project that would involve burying the LRT line between 12 and 25 AVE SE. It would be great to have an underground LRT station fully integrated into the convention centre.
I would love nothing more than to see that stretch of LRT buried underground, and have 17th ago right into the grounds as the main entrance. Someone once mentioned the reason behind not burying it, other than it would cost more, there may have been another reason.

Excellent! ? Hopefully this will be the catalyst to other planned developments in east Beltline ... the event centre, a hotel or two, and more condos when the demand improves.

close to new arena deal?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-flames-new-arena-deal-1.5217783

Looks like the Flames and the city are "close to a deal" on the new arena. Not sure how significant that is, as it seems like we've been 'close to a deal' a few times before.
Regardless, the official proposal comes on Monday. I haven't read anywhere whether or not the information will be released to the public, but I sure hope it will be. If all goes well it's said to cost around $600M (not all public money) and construction will start in 2021.

This, plus BMO and whatever other new hotels or businesses that spring up around them will really revolutionize that area if done properly.

Tentative deal reached for arena and events centre...

Edit: Oh lmfao, looks like Meikkheall got to it first :p

The fact that the Flames and the City appear to be on the same page is quite promising, looking forward to hearing more about it!
That's the big thing.If they can get back to the table and hash it in good faith, I think something will come down the pipe soon.

Back