Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I find the name rights thing cheesy, but if it helps fund a project I can live with it. I wonder if the naming rights trend will eventually die off? It seems everything has naming rights, so much now that most people don't even notice anymore.
I do wonder. On the one hand you have Scotiabank shelling out *$800 million* over 20 years for the former ACC in Toronto, which is a windfall of epic proportions for the seller of the naming rights of a $400 million dollar arena (2018 dollars) https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/scotiabank-arena-naming-rights-1.4271688

Of course, Toronto is completely different environment, however it appears that someone feels naming rights are worth something (no where near $800 million in Calgary, but greater than zero). The article above even mentions that their is little statistical evidence that naming rights produce a return. Perhaps it's a bit of a market economic basic principle: it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it even if it doesn't make any sense otherwise.

I can't imagine how they could measure the benefit of having a corporate name on an arena/ball field/civic centre etc. Although Scotiabank is one of the leaders in this type of marketing. Their name is all over sports facilities, movie theaters etc.
Remember when Pengrowth paid to have their name on the Saddledome. To the average hockey or concert goer what would that name mean to them? It is not as if it is a brand name for a consumer product or service.

I can't imagine how they could measure the benefit of having a corporate name on an arena/ball field/civic centre etc. Although Scotiabank is one of the leaders in this type of marketing. Their name is all over sports facilities, movie theaters etc.
Remember when Pengrowth paid to have their name on the Saddledome. To the average hockey or concert goer what would that name mean to them? It is not as if it is a brand name for a consumer product or service.
Same when Edmonton was named the Skyreach centre. Most people including myself didn't know what Skyreach is. I still don;t know what they are. National consumer brands make more sense.

WestJet Corral!

the Aurora Dome!

Enmax Corral!

The Big Rock!

Looove the idea of a cannabis corporation (Aurora) getting the naming rights! Plus Aurora Dome or Aurora Gardens would be a freaking dope name for a major arena in a northern city.

Other good options are...

Shaw Gardens

Virgin Place (the Stampede dumpster spitroast memes would go global) ?

Encana Dome

Stampede Place

Taylor Family Institute of Hockey and Entertainment ?

Flames Arena at Telus Arena of Sports ??

Cenovus Centre

EAH9dLjU0AAvzlD.jpg

On this graphic it suggests street-facing retail, does that mean the building itself or just surrounding? If the Event Centre were to have it, might it manifest in something like Little Caesar's Arena? [Street View] While I don't looove it, the facade is broken up decently and is well intentioned. I think with a couple tweaks it would pull off the vision they are going for here, with an integrated entertainment district. Say bring the front facade down to 2 stories and then have the top all glassy and open to concourse like in their renders... That wouldn't hide the fact that it's an arena, but it would continue the street wall of restaurants that they are keen on having along Olympic Way.

Looove the idea of a cannabis corporation (Aurora) getting the naming rights! Plus Aurora Dome or Aurora Gardens would be a freaking dope name for a major arena in a northern city.

Other good options are...

Shaw Gardens

Virgin Place (the Stampede dumpster spitroast memes would go global) ?

Encana Dome

Stampede Place

Taylor Family Institute of Hockey and Entertainment ?

Flames Arena at Telus Arena of Sports ??

Cenovus Centre
Let us get to generating real revenue and I will start pitching it. Though fair warning, Terry and Steve (CEO and President) are both Edmonton boys and Oilers fans...

There's also the small matter of Bill C-45 expressly forbidding using the naming rights sports venues for promotion as a cannabis company, but one hurdle at a time :p

My own vision or this arena is to have a really nice, possibly stunning front façade. Lots of glass that can bring natural light into the front entrance and area and some decent amount of glass at the sides, so that the concourse is well lit with natural light. Newer arenas are getting better at this, but most have darkish concourses that have that 'rink' feeling. Rogers' Place has some decent lighting in one front entrance area, but kind of fails after that. For a brand new arena that cost what it did there's northing ground breaking about it.

I'd like our arena to be somewhat groundbreaking. Maybe have some natural light in the ceiling, and some glass sections that can be retractable. I want the arena to be about bright open light, something other arenas don't have. The cost might be too much for that who knows?

I'd also like a decent plaza of some sort. Something different than the usual open concrete square. Not sure what could be done though, but something a little different, something outside the box.

I'd like to see retail along Olympic way beside the arena, and across the street from it.

I don't think I'm asking too much.

Hospitality/retail along both sides of 4 St SE, south of 12th, was part of the Stampede boards original expansion plan for the Park. I'm sure it will be incorporated into the master plan.

Last edited:
Retail along 4th street would also be a big help towards encouraging more residential in that area. One drawback to that area is that retail/resto options are limited compared to other parts of the Beltline.

Looooove, the idea if lots of glass, but I have a feeling it’s going to be too expensive. For a large building outside the energy efficiency part of it wouldn’t work very well me thinks.

I like the idea of some natural lighting in the ceiling, and perhaps some sunroof type panels. That would set it apart for sure.

My own vision or this arena is to have a really nice, possibly stunning front façade. Lots of glass that can bring natural light into the front entrance and area and some decent amount of glass at the sides, so that the concourse is well lit with natural light. Newer arenas are getting better at this, but most have darkish concourses that have that 'rink' feeling. Rogers' Place has some decent lighting in one front entrance area, but kind of fails after that. For a brand new arena that cost what it did there's northing ground breaking about it.

I'd like our arena to be somewhat groundbreaking. Maybe have some natural light in the ceiling, and some glass sections that can be retractable. I want the arena to be about bright open light, something other arenas don't have. The cost might be too much for that who knows?

I'd also like a decent plaza of some sort. Something different than the usual open concrete square. Not sure what could be done though, but something a little different, something outside the box.

I'd like to see retail along Olympic way beside the arena, and across the street from it.

I don't think I'm asking too much.

Back