Midtown Station | ?m | ?s | IBI Group

they are doing the whole thing all over again with the green line south, cant even tackle the north bc its actual city building and therefore too difficult. theres a better case for the green line to go to chestemere than to seton imo.

build a line from quarry park to chinook instead. maybe then itll become a hub. no need to put the green line through 10miles industrial park as they already did with the red line.

Last edited:
I just dont understand the appeal of these "new urban villages" when there are plenty of areas in the beltline and other areas surrounding downtown that are actually "urban" which still have plenty of space to build out and densify. If i was looking at living in an apartment, i'd be looking to live in an area that has some life, not surrounded by parking lots and big box stores

I just dont understand the appeal of these "new urban villages" when there are plenty of areas in the beltline and other areas surrounding downtown that are actually "urban" which still have plenty of space to build out and densify. If i was looking at living in an apartment, i'd be looking to live in an area that has some life, not surrounded by parking lots and big box stores
I would prefer that situation as well, but I know there are people that would prefer this area around Chinook. The Beltline/downtown still has some stigma of crime and homeless issues to the average person. Rightful or not, those concerns exist for many. Chinook with the huge mall and piles of retail nearby is surprisingly attractive to many.

They are dense transit oriented nodes. We should have more than just the downtown core having high rises.

I would prefer that situation as well, but I know there are people that would prefer this area around Chinook. The Beltline/downtown still has some stigma of crime and homeless issues to the average person. Rightful or not, those concerns exist for many. Chinook with the huge mall and piles of retail nearby is surprisingly attractive to many.
from the time i've spent around this area, it is just as bad, if not worse for the abundance of sketchy people, just my personal anecdote

At the intersection of 2 busy roads, surrounded on 3 sides by warehouse development, and nowhere near a major park? It might be a good location for office development, if Calgary ever sees that again, but it would be a poor place to live.
Chinook is the geographical center of the city, is far better connected to transit and in an area that is far more likely to attract retail tenants. A park in this development would likely do well, but shouldn't be a dealbreaker. People live next to major streets all over the inner city, why should a proper urban "midtown" be any different? Better pedestrian connections will have to be a part of this, and the inclusion of bike lanes will be a must.

40yrs after it the south line was finished, at its most desirably located station chinook, you exit and are met with parking, home depot, parking, 10 lanes of traffic, parking and a the holy grail a shopping center. pretty excellent city building.

but our little transport advocate druh knows alot about portland fwiw.

musk will build a tod on mars before this even gets started.
The site with the Home Depot and other big box stores has previously that of the proposed Renaissance project from the mid 80's. It would have created retail, office and residential incorporating a new LRT station and underground connection the Chinook Centre. Only the first phase happened, which was to demolish the Tradewinds Hotel and to construct the Calgary Auro Mall as a site to relocate the car lots from Glenmore and Macleod.

The site with the Home Depot and other big box stores has previously that of the proposed Renaissance project from the mid 80's. It would have created retail, office and residential incorporating a new LRT station and underground connection the Chinook Centre. Only the first phase happened, which was to demolish the Tradewinds Hotel and to construct the Calgary Auro Mall as a site to relocate the car lots from Glenmore and Macleod.
Interesting, I’ve never heard of that project. It’d be cool to see what the designs were

I think where a project like mid town shines is in the very longterm. Realistically we have enough on the go right now to keep developers busy for another 20 years. But I think its 30-50 years from now where this projects really going to shine as land in central parts of the city becomes increasingly difficult to find for high density development.

Interesting, I’ve never heard of that project. It’d be cool to see what the designs were
Please relocate this to unbuilt projects thread after it lives in this thread for a little bit.

It was still a car oriented strip mall. Just with a enclosed bit about the size of Mt. Royal Village. Not a huge project - 400,000 squarefeet sounds big but when you throw in a grocery store and a theatre ...

The Renaissance - 1980s Macleod Trail at Glenmore
1601406781956.png

Much more info:
1988:
1601407397364.png

1601407449230.png

1988:
1601406614635.png

1988:
1601405418650.png

1987:
1601406516019.png

1987 (Safeway pulling out of the project leads to repercussions with many projects and Chinook):
1601405724371.png

1601405739991.png
1601405759504.png
1601405800475.png

1987:
1601406554239.png

1987:
1601406968741.png

1986:
1601406001742.png

1601406297762.png

Attachments