Midtown Station | ?m | ?s | IBI Group

This is massive. With the midtown station proposed it makes total sense, and I'm sure it would spur on development around some of the other large lots in the area. This could be a true midtown, something comparable to Metrotown, or maybe closer to Buckhead or Galleria, but better.

If I remember correctly there is an outline for Chinook that has the southeast parking of the mall as well as the lot to the east of that being developed into apartment as well as an expansion for the mall.
I think this is the one for the mall? It’d be Great to see this go ahead.

I can see how this can be exciting, but from a land strategy perspective this is way too much height and density for where it is. I get the client wants to be able to maximize the value of the land, but the city gives people so much density everywhere and so rarely does this get built. Genuinely think this would make more sense as a similar concept but maxing out around 6 stories. Go with an urban village instead of Metrotown and this won't take 50 years to build out. If we keep giving away free density everywhere in this fashion (that isn't low and mid-rise) I feel it'll discourage the development of all the empty lots throughout downtown, East Victoria Park, West Village, etc. and that we will get situations like a patchwork of unfinished mixed-use areas all over the place. I mean, how long did all of the lots in The Bridges take to develop.

Last edited:
Chinook has so much development around it already it’s kind setting itself up as a second downtown or midtown.

I like the idea. However my only concern is that other major 'midtown' type developments are already in the works for Calgary and yet seem not to be going anywhere. Currie and Westbrook being two prime examples. Not to mention U/D which is well underway. I guess my concern would be around whether there's really much of a market for it? Maybe in 30 years when some of these others have hopefully been completed.

I would love to see this along with a pedestrianization for the 10 or so blocks of Macleod between the north end of Chinook and the south end of Midtown Station. If that could happen, this would be reminiscent of a mid-west American downtown (bisected by a sunken freeway and a major arterial road. Having +15 linkages through all four corners of the Macleod/Glenmore interchange would solve some big problems in regard to the challenges of that pedestrianization. Outside of that zone, it should be fairly straightforward. Lower to speed limit to something like 45, shrink each lane by about a foot in width, widen the sidewalks, and beautify the boulevard with grasses and trees. Wouldn't impact traffic flow much, but would significantly improve the pedestrian environment and perceptions of safety.

Seems pretty ambitious and as always I agree with Calgcouver, we have some other unfinished neighbourhoods that still need more development and residents. Remember the GWL 7 tower development in Eau Claire? Stadium development by Foothills is a lot of floor area. The aforementioned Curry and Westbrook. East Village completing the Riff. East Beltline can handle a ton and on and on.

What factors are going to provide incentives to encourage that massive a number of residents to live the point tower on podium lifestyle down there? Chinook retail employees? If you're using the red line for a work commute downtown, why not just live further up the line? The one spark will be those that work in the SW or SE as vehicle links are strong.

This plan is too chicken or the egg. The first phase is still a distance to any significant neighbourhood amenities. There won't be enough residents to spur any localized restaurant/retail to feel like a midtown neighbourhood. It'll just be cheap condos on Macleod trail overlooking big box retail parking lots or some rail lines and industrial.

Will the city go for another infill station with low user numbers, yet the station is important to increase user numbers? Chicken and egg again. Similar thing happening at Northland. I'm all for more stations though, as being able to get to more places is more important than getting to fewer faster and it's great that the developer is kicking in to it's cost.

No way a single developer, whoever they are, sees this much through to the finish line with that kind of timespan.

40yrs after it the south line was finished, at its most desirably located station chinook, you exit and are met with parking, home depot, parking, 10 lanes of traffic, parking and a the holy grail a shopping center. pretty excellent city building.

but our little transport advocate druh knows alot about portland fwiw.

musk will build a tod on mars before this even gets started.

I can see how this can be exciting, but from a land strategy perspective this is way too much height and density for where it is. I get the client wants to be able to maximize the value of the land, but the city gives people so much density everywhere and so rarely does this get built. Genuinely think this would make more sense as a similar concept but maxing out around 6 stories. Go with an urban village instead of Metrotown and this won't take 50 years to build out. If we keep giving away free density everywhere in this fashion (that isn't low and mid-rise) I feel it'll discourage the development of all the empty lots throughout downtown, East Victoria Park, West Village, etc. and that we will get situations like a patchwork of unfinished mixed-use areas all over the place. I mean, how long did all of the lots in The Bridges take to develop.
I feel like it should definitely be more dense than The Bridges though. This is a much more active area of town. Considering the train station will be built to accommodate the population, and there is all the required amenities in the area, I can see this working out with little problem. It’s more than Calgary is used to that is true, however when it’s finished in 20-30 years Calgary will have a population that is similar to what vancouver has now, and this is a common development around the city

I doubt this will ever get built out like Westbrook, especially with the amount of greenfield development every year. I do like the TOD concept and density but I don't get why developers haven't understood this simple concept yet, instead of making all these fancy network designs just stick to a basic grid system with unified wall to wall podium/midrise developments, large sidewalks with rows of trees planted and single or 2 lane roads with street parking. Such a concept never gets old and is proven to work effectively at activating the pedestrian realm. Im not digging the layout of the concept, thats my only real complaint.

Last edited:
40yrs after it the south line was finished, at its most desirably located station chinook, you exit and are met with parking, home depot, parking, 10 lanes of traffic, parking and a the holy grail a shopping center. pretty excellent city building.

but our little transport advocate druh knows alot about portland fwiw.

musk will build a tod on mars before this even gets started.
Agreed with the sentiment. They were thinking far enough into the future when the built the first line to the south. At the time the mentality was, hey let’s build a train system to move people from the Deep South to downtown. Chinook Station snd the area around it is a wasteland, but it’s bit too late to turn it around.

Back