Midtown Station | ?m | ?s | IBI Group

Looks like Calgary could have a suburban city centre on its hands.
That would be great, but honestly, I don’t think this site will get built out. Definitely not too what they’re showing on the renderings. well, not in my lifetime anyway.
Sadly, the area between Chinook LRT and Chinook mall would be a ripe for this kind of development and nothing’s happening there.

The other suburban city centre that would be a no-brainer is Westbrook and of course the same problem not much happening, though, there are some adjacent developments happening that might spur things on.

As crazy as it sounds, Quarry Park, which doesn’t even have an LRT station yet might be the best chance of suburban city centre lol.

Other than proximity to downtown, why would anyone want to live here? You'd be surrounded by industrial yards and freeways...
It may well turn out nice. I don't think the roads themselves are a problem (Kingsland is also bounded by both Glenmore and Macleod), so much as the industrial buildings. Of course those may convert to residential too in the future.

It's an odd location. If this was proposed for the area between Chinook LRT and the mall, it would make a lot more sense.
Land is too expensive up there. Far less lift than this one would have. Even if it ends up at 2 FAR, that would be somewhat like the Kingsland Trico 4 building complex, no? 2 FAR gets them to 3 million square feet.

The full plan targets 14,090 units. 2 FAR they can go for between 3 and 4 thousand.

14,000 units, that is a viable neighbourhood with multiple grocery stores.

Land is too expensive up there. Far less lift than this one would have. Even if it ends up at 2 FAR, that would be somewhat like the Kingsland Trico 4 building complex, no? 2 FAR gets them to 3 million square feet.

The full plan targets 14,090 units. 2 FAR they can go for between 3 and 4 thousand.

14,000 units, that is a viable neighbourhood with multiple grocery stores.
I meant more in general that it's a better location, not for the developer, just that it would make more sense in general, assuming the same zoning. I don't know what the FAR is for the area between Chinook and the Chinook LRT, but I assumed the area where Midtown is wouldn't be much different.

I think the Trico development across Macleod is more closer to 4.0 FAR, but am not 100% sure.

DMAP status:

Hearing Scheduled
A Council public hearing is scheduled for May 07, 2024. Public submissions to City Council must be received by the City Clerk between April 18, 2024 and before noon on April 30, 2024. Comments received after this deadline may be excluded from the Council agenda.

Back