MacKimmie Complex and Professional Faculties Building Redevelopment | ?m | 15s | U of C | DIALOG

Re: occupancy, answering my own question here lol. I found this on another part of this site - “The tower will soon become home to the Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking, which will be equipped with a year-round contingent of 500 full-load business students.”
This isn't exactly true. The tower, though I have heard things are still in flux, so the tower will probably be temporary space for some block occupants until the block is finished. The project creates student spaces both by creating actual space (in the block), and by moving offices from all over campus into the tower. The old faculty of social work will become an expanded faculty of nursing for example. A bunch of offices will be moved around so administration can move out of spaces that can be equipped as labs in Earth Sciences (that is where Graduate Studies and the Grad Student Association is right now, and where IT was before in moved to Math iirc). Finance moved from Math Sciences to the SMART buidling to allow IT to move to Math from ES maybe?

In any case, it is a huge decanting project, moving things around to have things next to each other that make sense, and empty space so it can be used better.

The final users as of November:
Level 1: Sustainability Resource Centre and Graduate Students' Association
Level 2: Faculty of Graduate Studies
Level 3, 4: Faculty of Social Work
Level 5: Faculty of Social Work, University of Calgary International
Level 6: Research Services, Office of Institutional Analysis
Level 7: Conference Centre for Complex (1+1/2 height floor)
Level 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13: Finance and Services
Level14: University Relations
Level 15: Development (Fundraising), and Alumni Engagement

The Block and Link (coming 2 years later):
Level 1: Classrooms, Student Study Space, Food Vendor
Level 2: Registrar, Student Enrollment Services Marketing and Communications, Student Study Space
Level 3: Faculty of Social Work Classrooms, Student Study Space
Level 4: Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking

Last edited:
From my walk home from class today. Figured we needed some new ones for the new page...

Wow they did a lot of work today. When I took these pics at 1 they had only installed a couple of the fifth floor windows...

This building is like receiving an early Christmas present. I had no idea it was going to be this good.

I know what you mean, but I'm happy that our leading architecturally significant structures are starting to be spread out a bit.

You're totally right, it's just me being greedy and wanted to see it all in one snapshot. Glad that Calgary is starting to get more and more pockets of cool around the city.

Back