MacKimmie Complex and Professional Faculties Building Redevelopment | ?m | 15s | U of C | DIALOG

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Considering the substantial amount of structural work going on here, I feel like this project deserves a dedicated thread. The tower crane has now been installed, and the removal of the exterior and interior of the building down to the superstructural steel will now commence.

The building is being expanded from 13 to 15 storeys, making it once again the tallest building on the U of C campus, and the Canada Green Building Council is hoping it will be one of the most environmentally sustainable buildings on the continent when complete.

https://www.cagbc.org/CAGBC/Zero_Carbon/mackimmie_profile.aspx

Taken today by me...

fullsizeoutput_8ec.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8ec.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8ec.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 2,396

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-19_14-32-49.png
    upload_2018-3-19_14-32-49.png
    527 KB · Views: 1,787
Last edited:
I didn't know PF was gonna be a part of this. I was already really interested in this project now I really can't wait to see what they have in mind.

Social work is moving out of PF in fall 2019, and the remaining faculties will expand into the space. In addition, it should free up a floor or two in math sciences and earth sciences by moving administrative units from academic and lab capable buildings to the upper floors of this project. It will also collect small bits and pieces from elsewhere in the university.

Early concepts from 10 years ago were all glass. It will be interesting to see how much this has changed.

All glass, but different. Double facade breaks the current lines. Early sketches looked like a crumpled paper mache black potato. I am told newer ones are better.

Ouuuuu I'm excited! :D

Back