MacKimmie Complex and Professional Faculties Building Redevelopment | ?m | 15s | U of C | DIALOG

It's been topped out for months.

IIRC they added two floors into the previous height. Too bad they couldn’t add 4 or 5 floors. The building looks nice closeup but also from a distance.
I believe that the building could have supported going up to 20 floors or so. Issue with that would have been elevator capacity. And finding money for it.

20190204_131841.jpg

This building is really interesting. I had a conversation last week with a development friend about how this kind of exterior wrap will be an effective way to add visual interest to buildings that meet Passive House requirements. Adding an exterior layer for visual interest can really break up the visual monotony like they did with the Woodward project in Gastown. This is interesting because it is monotonous, but looks good.

Woodward's building:
1549429913437.png

Woodward has a standard single skin covered in brise soleils. There is no reason a double skin can't include brise soleils. Also with Woodward, the exposed floor slab probably doesn't include thermal breaks either. It's not something you see in Canada despite having a cold climate. Double over triple glazed single skin is standard too. The Manitoba Hydro Building is the largest building with a double skin in Canada as far as I know.

Glass from a few days ago. Hard to see in the photos, but they are working quite a bit on the mechanical which will end up under the raised floor (concrete slab to the bottom of the window). This morning their was a concrete pump lifting up to the 7th floor.

Back