Reaction score
1626202353368.png
1626202333752.png
2021-06-LOLA-The-Hive-Final-06.jpg
2021-06-LOLA-The-Hive-Final-05.jpg
2021-06-LOLA-The-Hive-Final-03.jpg
2021-06-LOLA-The-Hive-Final-01A.jpg

1610128113208.jpeg

Height: 26.93m or 8-9 storeys. The applicant’s proposed ARP amendment included one extra metre to account for the City’s main floor flood requirements.
Floor Area Ratio: 4.99
Residential Unit Count: 140 homes
Parking: 35 resident stalls; 11 visitor parking stalls; 1:1 bike parking/unit ratio
Building Square Metres: 10,860 m2 total

The design of the proposed development is 9 storeys and steps down to 8 storeys to the south. The proposed design is vertically terraced on the 9A St side and set in on the south side to have a similar front setback as the adjacent single detached house, ending in a “plaza” on the southeast corner. The applicant has proposed fewer automobile parking stalls, due to the location, available walking-distance amenities in the neighbourhood and expected car-free lifestyle for future residents.

Density, height and parking are all right on for me. Arguably one of the most walkable/bikeable locations in the city / province so good to see this detail. The little plaza feature is a nice touch to respond to the pedestrian network appropriately as there's that mid-block crosswalk there.

Change that light beige to white and it's just fine, albeit somewhat forgettable, addition.

Last edited:
I don't really have any strong feeling on the design, good or bad. It seems fine, so long as the exterior materials aren't a complete dumpster fire then it should just blend into to area.

The additional density is obviously good. I'm glad to see Kensington becoming a true midrise district. Definitely glad Calgary is starting to get some vibrant density clusters outside the core. Something I've seen in other big cities that adds a lot of character.

Really underwhelming for a location of that importance. Yuck.
I don't think that location is really that important. It is a great location, but as redevelopment occurs on the rest of the block, the only part that will really be visible is the east facade. This doesn't need to be an architectural gem, as it is not on a prominent corner the way Lido is, or the Graywood.

Reviewed some 2016 census data for comparison.

I always struggle to contextualize the scale of a development like this without a comparing the existing areas nearby. Its very much these minimal parking, mid rise buildings that get us to that critical mass, urban "big city" density. Calgary is just starting to achieve this in small pockets but it's the key commonality in older, larger cities across whole neighbourhoods or districts that makes urban retail and culture sustainable.

Red (2016 Census):
130 units
312 residents
2.4 residents / unit

Blue (proposed development):
140 units
210 residents (assuming 1.5 residents per unit)

1610390826335.png

IMO colours could be better, but to be honest I am totally fine with it. it will blend in amongst all the other projects around the area and add some good density to Sunnyside.

Reviewed some 2016 census data for comparison.

I always struggle to contextualize the scale of a development like this without a comparing the existing areas nearby. Its very much these minimal parking, mid rise buildings that get us to that critical mass, urban "big city" density. Calgary is just starting to achieve this in small pockets but it's the key commonality in older, larger cities across whole neighbourhoods or districts that makes urban retail and culture sustainable.

Red (2016 Census):
130 units
312 residents
2.4 residents / unit

Blue (proposed development):
140 units
210 residents (assuming 1.5 residents per unit)

View attachment 293578
That whole area needs to be redeveloped into midrises 4-8 stories high and maybe an odd highrise cluster if the city and neighborhood will allow it. Same thing along the east side of Sunnyside station. Just that extra density boost would help the mainstreets become vibrant year around. It really is surprising how little density there is near our downtown core along the river. Most mid-large size metros have neighborhoods that tend to get denser as you approach the core.

Another thing I've never understood is why the city doesn't build one big midrise parkade in the center of these neighborhoods for residents to park their cars and retrieve them when required This would allow for surrounding multi-family developments to have minimal parking. It would allow condos and rental buildings to be much more affordable. Better to build one big parkade accessible with a monthly pass for locals rather than have each developer take on the expense of building their own parkade. If these neighborhoods become amenity-rich and are walkable, Id assume the occasional instance someone needs a car they can walk a block down to a community parkade and retrieve it to commute outside the area.

Back