Hillhurst Block | 19m | 4s | Eagle Crest | FAAS Architecture

This is really nice looking for a small office building.

19th street, is coming along nicely. A couple more developments on the east side of 19th, and it will bump itself up as a junior destination strip.
It's a really good example of what an "off-main street" Main Street can evolve into.

Much of our best "Main" Main Streets are dueling it out between their transportation (e.g. commuter car volumes) and business (e.g. patios and places people actually want to visit) functions. Trade-offs are being made, and it doesn't always favour tasteful infill or attractive urban space creation. As a result, some of our best opportunities nodes and corridors are actually the secondary main streets and the risk of grinding transportation opposition is lesser.

Pretty much every local connector or minor commuter road could have this kind of development, as long as the residential density and population is sufficient and growing via redevelopment, plus there's a few retail/mixed use nodes to build from.

Some examples:
  • NW: 24 Ave, 19 St, 4 St, 20 Ave;
  • NE: 1 St in Bridgeland,
  • SW: 34 Ave, 26 Ave, 1 Street in the Beltline

Last edited:
Great addition! I live a couple of blocks away and this is something that the area needs. I'm sure many people around here may visit on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and see a fairly busy area, but stop by on a Wednesday afternoon and it's pretty dead. The extra daytime traffic will help the area.

I'm not too concerned about more office space, as this is fairly small and believe it or not, it's not all that easy to find good office space for a group of 10-30 people.

Agreed that boutique office is a good fit here.
  • adds to the mix of uses for a developing 'off-main' main street
  • greater day-time vibrancy and foot traffic that supports growing retail options
  • walkable local employment opportunity
There is an interesting street rhythm happening along 19 ST. I am happy to see smaller projects like this among larger assemblies. The single lot project adds some organic authenticity to the redevelopment of the strip.

Agreed that boutique office is a good fit here.
  • adds to the mix of uses for a developing 'off-main' main street
  • greater day-time vibrancy and foot traffic that supports growing retail options
  • walkable local employment opportunity
There is an interesting street rhythm happening along 19 ST. I am happy to see smaller projects like this among larger assemblies. The single lot project adds some organic authenticity to the redevelopment of the strip.
Exactly. It’s that organic mix of small projects like this and Wolf Den, mixed with medium sized projects like 19+2 that could make 19th great.
My Christmas wish for 19th is another decent sized pub with patio and a dedicated bike lane.

FAAS does such great work
I generally agree. Their work typically has the same or similar look and feel, and I wouldn’t say anything they design is going to blow your hair back, but their work is consistently good, and I’d say it’s rare that you see any of their projects get VE’d to the point they’re unrecognizable. Not to say their work doesn’t get VE’d by developers, but they generally turn out like their renders.

Back