News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.2K     0 

General Construction Updates

haltcatchfire

Member Bio
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is the improved Jaipur bridge design. Do you remember the initial design proposal for the replacement that got shredded by CPC? They then had to do an update design in an expedited manner, and the result is definitely an upgrade over the first proposal.

Definite improvement over that clunky ugly first design. This bridge is perfectly fine for the location. It’s pretty similar to the one over the elbow into Inglewood at Fort Calgary and no one is bothered over there. It gets you across. You’re also focused on the excellent surroundings.

Tarsus

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m okay with the bridge. It’s not the most exciting bridge, but the city built a couple of really nice ones in the Peace Bridge and St Patrick’s Island.
This bridge only needs to be decent and that’s what it is.

lemongrab

Member Bio
Reaction score
The railings on that first proposal look even worse as they appear to be like 6ft tall for some reason.

On the flood barriers - it's interesting to compare the stretch south of PIP where the barrier separates foot/wheeling paths vs. this stretch where they're together. I think both approaches have their pros/cons, and what we have make sense for each location - it's just too bad the walking path from Centre-Reconciliation bridges isn't a bit wider. I wonder if they could have doubled up the MUP on that stretch, with the north two lanes for jogging/rollerblading and the south 2 for bikes.

GoVertical

Member Bio
Reaction score
Forgot to post this from last week, Jaipur Bridge from above:
20220506_095147.jpg

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Boring bridge for sure. In fact, I think it's a downgrade aesthetically from the old bridge. It will definitely function better, but man what a snore fest. The new retaining/flood wall is also lame. Feels like a barricade between downtown and the river. So much for all the nice shrubs, trees, and greenery that used to line that stretch. Now we have a claustrophobic wall...
That's the point of the wall. Also, shrubs will be replanted this summer. It's not going to be just a big long metal wall.

RiverWalk-East.jpg

Last edited:

haltcatchfire

Member Bio
Reaction score
I know it’s becoming a parking lot, but it does seem to be quite the task to do that. Will it be below grade after the foundations get removed? Or will they bring in lots of fill?

Too bad they weren’t smart enough to do it before the excavation across the street. Could have saved both sides money.