News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Eau Claire

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
West Eau Claire Park open with a considerable number of people enjoying the space on a chilly autumn Sunday afternoon :)

fullsizeoutput_1848.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_184b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_184c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1849.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1848.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1848.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 473
  • fullsizeoutput_184b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_184b.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 431
  • fullsizeoutput_184c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_184c.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 465
  • fullsizeoutput_1849.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1849.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 460
The city has done a really nice job with this. I sure hope the walkways and brick/stonework hold up better than other areas of downtown.

The city has done a really nice job with this. I sure hope the walkways and brick/stonework hold up better than other areas of downtown.
Agreed, this is top quality work. 10/10 on execution from what I have seen so far. It's so good it actually makes the Riverwalk portions look dated and less well designed at it was only 8 years ago. The whole project really strikes the right spot to me on the axes between recreation-focused and transportation-focused designs, I have mentioned before. It has many good elements to encourage lingering and hanging out, while maintaining direct, segregated and efficient connections along and across the main path. Bravo.

I suspect it will keep in fairly good condition as it ages. There isn't nearly as many shoddy and random utility cuts (and their inconsistent repairs) for development along the river. I assume that freeze-thaw cycles are accounted for as best they can, plus this area has fewer of the pathway-destroying popular roots that are common throughout the network. It also seems that most of the work is vandal-proof or resistant (not always the best approach as vandal-proof concrete tends to be less enjoyable to sit on than a wooden surface). The treatment here seems pretty good despite a lack of wood, easily made up for that by the fantastic 100m long bench closer to Eau Claire Market.

Mainly, a lack of vehicular traffic will be the real thing that lets this stuff live longer ;)

https://streets.mn/2016/07/07/chart-of-the-day-vehicle-weight-vs-road-damage-levels/

The concepts for East Eau Claire Promenade and downtown east flood protection have been released. On top of that, the design of the Jaipur Bridge Replacement is underway, concurrent with design of the new Eau Claire Plaza and the 2 and 3 Street Public Realm Masterplan.

Eau-Claire-Area-Projects-small.jpg

Promenade-Concept-Design-Engage-Calgary.png

Lagoon.jpg

Chinatown.jpg

RiverWalk-West.jpg

RiverWalk-East.jpg

Back