East Village Courtyard | 108m | 33s | Gibbs Gage

A few other renders of the buildings as well as the artist's concept for the fountain from the development permit application. Having gone through the application I have to say my biggest disappointment is that the interior courtyard looks like it will be substantially shadowed most of the time. I don't know what could have been done to the massing/orientation of the buildings or the podiums to allow more sunlight in but I feel creating two big square boxes on the south side of the development is probably not the way to do it. Maybe a massing design that more closely resembled Keynote would have done the trick? I'm not sure if the design could have really been improved given the site constraints but I'm doubtful on how much use the courtyard will get if it's sitting in shadow for most of the day.

EV Develpment 1 render.png

EV Develpment 2 render.png

EV Develpment 3 render.png

EV Develpment 4 render.png

EV Develpment 5 render.png

*changes mind*

*is wet*

Yeah I'm also changing my mind! Now that I see the materials I think it looks really good actually. Has a West Coast vibe to it! Love the fountain! This city desperately needs more water features. I still dream of a day when city hall plaza is completely re-done with a proper fountain in addition to Olympic Plaza. A sweet European fountain in front of the Bay building would be sweet!

Count me in as on board. It looks much better in these renderings. I like the office building, too bad there's no appetite for office space, I'd like to see it get built.

I love the fountain concept. I don't care for the buildings. I've seen my share of renderings. I've yet to see glass like that translate to real life. I like the podium. I agree on the West coast vibe. The render people are a distraction. It's a design for a quiet neighbourhood street.

Happy that we are at least seeing the parcel subdivided so that there will an interior courtyard instead of a mega-block podium like we are used to seeing in Calgary. The inclusion of a large fountain in the middle of the courtyard is nice too as I feel Calgary doesn't have nearly enough public fountains. Also happy to see retail space fronting Celebration Square as that's definitely a bit of a dead-zone. Agreed that the architecture is very bland. Anyone know much about the developer? Can we anticipate these to be rentals or condos?
Calgary has unfortunately had a history of outdoor fountains causing water leaks into parkades.

Agreed. ?

Back