Codetta | 13.41m | 4s | Eagle Crest | FAAS Architecture

Total game changer if 24th comes to fruition. Not many places have created walkable main streets from nothing, let alone as a series of individual redevelopment projects.
That's the crazy part. Between these developments and the cycle lane work, 24th will be completely different in a very short time. It can be an inspiration for 20th ave.

I'd love to see 20th get a similar treatment someday.
I feel like pulling my hair out whenever I go down 20th ave. It's got so much potential, but so far, duplexes are the only developments happening along the avenue (other than Catalyst). I look at what's happening with 19th street or 24th ave and wish 20th could get the same love.

20th will get that love eventually, and hopefully some of this type of development can happen between 14th and 19th. There is already some retail in there, it just need an extra boost like 19th is getting.
Yeah I think it'll get there. I forget which thread I had a list of all walkable main street potential candidates in North Calgary, but 20th is definitely a top one. It's scale is perfect in that we haven't/can't convert it into an overly wide car sewer. It's connectivity is also really great, it's only real limitations is that it does have to be built from scratch as a new main street and has very few existing anchors on it or at either end. I could see the nodes forming at each cross-street (19, 14, 10, 4, Centre Streets, Edmonton Tr) and working out from there.

Yeah I think it'll get there. I forget which thread I had a list of all walkable main street potential candidates in North Calgary, but 20th is definitely a top one. It's scale is perfect in that we haven't/can't convert it into an overly wide car sewer. It's connectivity is also really great, it's only real limitations is that it does have to be built from scratch as a new main street and has very few existing anchors on it or at either end. I could see the nodes forming at each cross-street (19, 14, 10, 4, Centre Streets, Edmonton Tr) and working out from there.
Agree. I think that's the strategy that would work the best. Start with developments on those node intersections and add more high density builds next to those developments. Eventually there will be some traction and it will take off.

Total game changer if 24th comes to fruition. Not many places have created walkable main streets from nothing, let alone as a series of individual redevelopment projects.
Total game changer indeed. If successful, which I think it will be, it can be used as a template for other streets and avenues around Calgary

So true. I drove down 24th ave the other day, and it looks better already because of the cycle tracks. I can't wait until some of the developments get underway.

Site cleared
PXL_20220129_191134799.jpg

Back