News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Canada Men's Soccer

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has been following the Canada men's soccer team or not. For those who haven't, the team has been playing well in the qualifying round (actually sitting in 1st place) and has a good chance of making it to the 2022 World Cup. It would be the first time since 1986.

1643735645432.png

24 points seems to be the magic number to book our ticket to Qatar, or the next round of game if Canada does not win in El Salvador, we need to see

- US loss
- Mex loss
- Panama loss
- Costa Rica tie or less

I believe 8 points total (gained by us or lost by Panama) gets us in if I'm not mistaken. Panama is the target at the moment, if we outpace out them we're in. Three of their last four games are against the top 3 teams: Mexico, US and us. Should be interesting. We just need to concentrate on getting points, as we control our own destiny.

Not just Panama, but also the US and Mexico. If Panama somehow defeated the US and Mexico and then Canada we can still get in ahead of either US or Mexico as they are only one point up on Panama. Mexico and the United States also play each other. Lots of moving parts with other teams but we’ll have a better idea after tomorrow.
Tomorrow will be a big game, El Salvador isn’t a powerhouse by any means but road games in Central America are always hard.

I've followed the qualifying matches and happy to see I'm not the only one.. My parents are European so I'm familiar with football, but only European football and haven't followed Canada progress until this year. My father's team is Bayern, and we are familiar with Alfonso Davies and his skill. It would be so exciting to see Canada in the world cup!

Wow, that's less than I thought. It's really a magic number of 6 then, if Canada gets 3 points from a victory over El Salvador, and Panama drops three points by losing to Mexico.

I'm not sure I understand the math tho. If Canada wins and Panama loses they would have 25 points....8 more than Panama, but with 3 games left for Panama, they could potentially pick up 9 points. 🤨

Last edited:
Wow, that's less than I thought. It's really a magic number of 6 then, if Canada gets 3 points from a victory over El Salvador, and Panama drops three points by losing to Mexico.

I'm not sure I understand the math tho. If Canada wins and Panama loses they would have 25 points....8 more than Panama, but with 3 games left for Panama, they could potentially pick up 9 points. 🤨
I thought the same but didn't consider the permutations of Panama, US and Mexico playing each other in the remaining games. Bottom line we need to take care of our game first

I've followed the qualifying matches and happy to see I'm not the only one.. My parents are European so I'm familiar with football, but only European football and haven't followed Canada progress until this year. My father's team is Bayern, and we are familiar with Alfonso Davies and his skill. It would be so exciting to see Canada in the world cup!
Hopefully long gone are the days when players like Owen Hargreaves feel like they need to leave to make their mark. Soccer is the most played team sport amongst kids in Canada and finally having a world class team to cheer for will only help. Our best star players are so young I'm really excited for the future especially as we build up to the World Cup here in 2026

I've teased some of my friends who have traditionally cheered for their home country in past World Cups who they will pick this time if Canada makes it. It's an interesting thought that we've never had a choice before (unless you were old enough in 86), I know it's not the same but when they say their home country I counter with who do you support during the Olympics? Seems like Olympics we go with Canada but soccer is more complicated

I know it's not the same but when they say their home country I counter with who do you support during the Olympics? Seems like Olympics we go with Canada but soccer is more complicated
If Canada can get into the World Cup for 2022, they’ll also be in the next World Cup as a host. Having two appearances in a row might make a big difference, especially if we can get a win or have a couple of draws or something like that.
Some of the players we have, Davies, David, Eustaquiao to name a few, play in first division European leagues, and Davies and David in particular are even star players. It would be nice if Canada could finally get on board with football….or as we call it Soccer.

Back