News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Call for Submissions: Buildings Completed and Under Construction in 2016

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's been another busy year for construction in Calgary. As 2016 comes to a close, we thought it would be fun to take stock of just how much the cityscape has changed in the last 12 months. So, we'll be recognizing the projects — whether residential, commercial, institutional or mixed-use — that have been completed this year by conducting a year-end "best of" poll. The criteria is simple: completion must be apparent and the building must have visible occupancy, even if it is just on one floor.

We'll also be conducting a poll for projects that are under construction. Think Telus Sky and Park Point. For example, Studio Bell will find a place on our "completed projects" poll, while Brookfield Place will be slotted into a position in the "under construction projects" poll.

But we need your help to compile the list. Your local knowledge of the development scene is very important for us to establish a comprehensive poll — we don't want to leave off any of your favourites! So let us know below which projects, in your best estimation, are currently under construction or have been completed in 2016.

You'll also have a chance to vote for your all-time favourite buildings, big and small, which you can also nominate below. The Bow, Calgary Tower and Suncor Energy Centre are shoo-ins.

The polls will be launched on December 2!

Last edited:
Buildings that I can think of that were completed this year, off the top of my head.

Pulse (second tower of Evolution)
Kahanoff Expansion
1215 (Maple projects)
East Village Hilton
Lido
Fifteen15 (Royal View East)
Portfolio
Versus
Mark on 10th

Others that can be added from this year
Aura tower - west
WAM project on 10th.
Guardian Tower South
City Centre Tower office
Oxford's Eau Claire Tower
Studio Bell
Live on Park

We have a list for this year's projects. I can't think of any others. I took WAM on tenth out as it's now called Versus.

Kahanoff Expansion
1215 (Maple projects)
East Village Hilton
Lido
Portfolio
Versus
Mark on 10th
Aura tower - west
Guardian Tower South
City Centre Tower office
Studio Bell
Live on Park
First in East Village

This is great, thanks everyone!

Anyone have input on the under construction projects we should include? Everything in our Database will be included but I want to make sure I don't miss anything!

We'll also need your nominations for the best Calgary buildings of all time - I'm obviously not as familiar with the city as everyone here is, so let me know which iconic buildings should be included.

If we're looking at current construction:

Brookfield Place
Telus Sky
707 - 5th street
Park Point
The Royal
6th and Tenth
Verve
N3
New Central Library
Vogue
Marriott Residence Inn
Parkside
Concord

I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Kahanoff Expansion
1215 (Maple projects)
East Village Hilton
Lido
Portfolio
Versus
Mark on 10th
Aura tower - west
Guardian Tower South
City Centre Tower office
Studio Bell
Live on Park
First in East Village
YYC International Terminal

Are we sure Versus has begun occupancy? It still appeared to be under construction as of the last photo update.

I'm not sure about City Centre Tower and Live on Park either - they appeared to begin taking in tenants in late 2015, in which case they wouldn't qualify as a 2016 completion.

Versus has tenants in the lower building which is completely finished and some tenants in the taller building. I've walked past a couple of times at night and I have seen tenants in the tower building but only on some of the lower floors

City Centre would have been very close to the end of 2015. This pic is from November 15. They still had construction fencing.

2015 Nov 15 323.JPG

Attachments

• 2015 Nov 15 323.JPG
    2015 Nov 15 323.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 307
Finalizing the list and I've come across a few more to be added.

Complete:

Bridgeland Crossings
Elements Hotel
Smith
The Metropolitan

U/C:

428 Sixth Avenue (5th and Third)
Bridgeland Affordable Housing Development
Ezra on Riley Park
Kensington Legion
Lumino 3
Marquee on 16th
Place 10 - Or is this on hold?
Steps Bridgeland
Ventus Block

And some I'm unsure about the status:

Avli on Atlantic - Has construction started?
Groves of Varsity - Completed?
INK - Applied for building permit, has construction started?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Back